VPI Classic Direct Drive Turntable

vet

Audio, Δημοσιογράφος
Reaction score
http://www.tonepublications.com/review/vpi-classic-direct-drive-turntable/

The presentation of the Classic Direct is remarkably close to that of a master tape on a great open-reel deck, which Weisfeld just happens to have next to his equipment rack for his own comparisons. He smiles. “This truly was my inspiration for the Classic Direct,” he says. “Now a piano sounds like a piano.”

I have purchased products from all over the world—and have been doing so for most my life—but I have to confess some American pride here. We in the United States now have a manufacturer building a turntable that not only competes with the best tables that the world has to offer but that also excels beyond many of them.

This is why we bestow our overall Product of the Year award to the VPI Classic Direct turntable.

- Jeff Dorgay

Reaction score
Από ήχο δεν ξέρω,αλλά από μούρη είναι κουκλί παναθεμα το...

Reaction score
Και εγώ αυτά τα vpi τα έχω ερωτευθεί από εμφάνιση. Από ήχο δεν ξέρω δεν έχω ακούσει

Kotsidis John

Photography
Reaction score
εμενα παλι απο εμφανισε δε με τρελλαινει , θα γουσταρα κατι πιο....ντιζαινατο, αλλα απο ηχο πρεπει να παιζει παπαδες!

Reaction score
Κάποιος που να το βάλει πλάϊ σε ένα κλασσικό club-άτο μικάπα δυό με την ίδια κεφαλή και προενισχυτή κεφαλής να γελάσουμε; Ακούγοντας ένα VPI Classic μαζί με ένα Systemdeck δεν τρελάθηκα με το πρώτο. Money for nothing...

vet

Audio, Δημοσιογράφος
Reaction score
Κάποιος που να το βάλει πλάϊ σε ένα κλασσικό club-άτο μικάπα δυό με την ίδια κεφαλή και προενισχυτή κεφαλής να γελάσουμε; Ακούγοντας ένα VPI Classic μαζί με ένα Systemdeck δεν τρελάθηκα με το πρώτο. Money for nothing...
γιατι να ειναι καλυτερο το mkii?
αλλωστε και τα δυο DD ειναι...
vpi classic vs systemdeck είναι η κοντρα μαζας-ανάρτησης... είσαι της αναρτησης?

Reaction score
Δεν υπονοώ οτι το MkII είναι καλύτερο. Εξάλλου κάπου πήρε το μάτι μου μια αστρονομική τιμή για το εν λόγω VPI οπότε οφείλει να είναι "καλύτερο". Τώρα το κατα πόσο τιμολογεί τη διαφορά ο κατασκευαστής εν σχέση με το Technics έγκειται στην αγοραστική ομάδα που απευθύνεται που οι marketers της εταιρείας την έχουν ψάξει πολύ πριν το τιμολογήσουν. Συνοπτικά απο τη δική μου εμπειρία το VPI είναι πανέμορφο, έχει κατασκευή κτιρίου και φαίνεται πολύ πειστικό στο ρακ, κρίμα που δεν ήταν και τόσο στ' αυτιά μου. Τώρα αν είναι μάζα ή ανάρτηση εμένα προσωπικά ένα και το αυτό. Ούτε έχω άποψη επι του κατασκευαστικού ούτε επι του σχεδιαστικού. Επι του ηχητικού μπορώ να γράφω ατελείωτα!

Reactions: vet

Reaction score
Σε ηλεκτρονική συσκευή 30k δολλαρίων επιτρέπονται διακόπτες (οι τρεις ριστερά) από το ebay? Απλά εδώ φαίνεται ότι υπάρχει και μια υπεραξία που σχετίζεται με το βάρος του ονόματος στην αγορά αλλά και μια αδυναμία από την εταιρεία να χαμηλώσει το κόστος παραγωγής, που βέβαια μπορεί και τελικά να μην είναι αδυναμία καθότι..."ξέρουν αυτοί" ;-) . Αναρωτιέμαι πόσο θα κόστιζε σε ένα Ιαπωνικό βιομηχανικό κολοσσό να κατασκευάσει αυτό το VPI και πόσο στη VPI να κατασκευάσει ένα MkII. Είμαι σίγουρος ότι αν είχαμε λίγη πληροφόρηση για τους προμηθευτές των πρώτων υλών θα αλλάζαμε hobbie... Κατά τ' άλλα είναι κουκλί.

Reaction score
Enter Harry Weisfeld
A visit to the VPI factory in New Jersey with company founder Harry Weisfeld reveals a massive collection of turntables. Weisfeld is particularly well versed in direct-drive models, especially the classics. His collection includes, among others, the Denon DP-80 and JVC TT-101, as well as other Technics tables. “I believe direct drive is the way to go when it’s done correctly,” he says. “I’ve always been a huge fan of the concept, but you can’t get a belt or a pulley perfect, no matter how hard you try. A belt-drive turntable consists of multiple mistakes and you’re always dealing with multiple tolerance errors. Direct drive eliminates these issues.”
Discussing the cost of the new Classic Direct, which is priced at $30,000, Weisfeld reflects on the SP-10. Because of the manufacturing complexity required to produce the SP-10, he says that, if new examples were being built today, they would be fairly comparable in price, even from a company like Technics.
Weisfeld says that the Kenwood L-O7D and Micro Seiki DDX-1000 were the impetuses for making his own direct-drive table, a process that began in earnest in early 2011. One of the engineers at a firm that produces finely machined parts for VPI, as well as military hardware, and who is a known audiophile, started a major discussion with Weisfeld about the “toughest part of a turntable to manufacture.”
The engineer quickly responded that the motor was the toughest challenge, which led to another series of discussions resulting in the design we see here in the Classic Direct, where the platter is actually the main component in the motor. In this case, the motor in the Classic Direct is an AC motor, which Weisfeld prefers over DC motors. He smiles and says, “An AC motor knows where it is, and a DC motor only knows where it was.”
The secret here is that a three-phase motor is used, eliminating the cogging effect that always plagues direct-drive designs. This uneven power delivery results in a slight unsteadiness to the music at worst and a shrinking soundstage at best. These issues are a thing of the past with the Classic Direct, as my listening quickly reveals.
Fortunately for Weisfeld, building the first Classic Direct was a labor of love for the engineers involved—it was strictly a fun project. Reflecting on the nature of the company building the motor, Weisfeld laughs and says, “The reason I won’t tell you who makes the motor for us is not a security reason; they just don’t want to become a supplier for other manufacturers.” He then proceeds to show me all of the measurement data that went into the design, from prototype to final product. “These guys measure everything, and they are thorough.” Case in point: Noise level on the Classic Direct is lower than minus 100 dB—impressive.
================================

Staff online

• abcd
    Πρώην Διοικητής ο τροπαιοφόρος

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
corfu11