loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
James Cameron gives update on the Avatar sequels

James Cameron recently talked to RTL (via MarketSaw) about the upcoming three sequels to Avatar, the top grossing movie of all time with $2.782 billion at the worldwide box office.

"We're still in the early stages. Right now we're developing the software. I'm writing the scripts. We're designing all the creatures and characters and the settings, and so on. So, I'm not actually directing yet, but I'm doing all the other creative processes that lead up to that," Cameron said.

He added that he thinks "it's going very well. I think it's going to be spectacular. You'll see new worlds, new habitats, new cultures. The primary conflict between the human view kind of dominating nature and the Na'vi view of being integrated into nature is the same, but it manifests itself in very different ways."

As far as the tech behind the upcoming films, they have greatly reduced how long one movie will take to make. "The first film… took almost four years to make. We expect to be able to accelerate the process quite a bit, because we've improved a lot of the software and the computer graphics tools, and we've been working very closely with Weta Digital down here in New Zealand developing a whole new suite of tools to speed up the process."

Cameron also said they are "looking at high frame rate. I'm studying that. I haven't made a final decision yet, whether the entire film will be made at high frame rate or parts of it. You know, we'll be shooting at a native resolution of probably 4K and so then there should be a lot of true 4K theaters by then as well."

So what can we expect story wise? "The thing that's great about 'Avatar,' it's such a rich world, I can explore any theme or any idea that I want. Once you've got the characters that an audience loves, it's great to surprise them and make changes and turns that they don't expect. And you don't have to spend so much time of the movie setting up all that stuff, because the audience will remember from the previous film."

You can check out the interview segment below.

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
Director James Cameron talks Avatar sequels, Shoots down rumors

Taking part in an AMA on Reddit, filmmaker James Cameron took a few minutes to discuss the scripts for the upcoming sequels to Avatar, which are currently in pre-production in New Zealand.

"The second, third and fourth films all go into production simultaneously," he wrote. "They're essentially all in preproduction now, because we are designing creatures, settings, and characters that span all three films. And we should be finished with all three scripts within the next, I would say, six weeks....The biggest pressure I feel right now is cutting out things - I love to get the film down to a length that is affordable. There hasn't been a problem finding new and wonderful things to include in the movie."

Cameron also shot down the rumor from September of last year that Arnold Schwarzenegger would appear as a villain in the film.

"As of right now, he and I have not discussed it, and I don't see a role as the scripts are coming together that would be appropriate for him, so I would say probably not."

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
Sigourney Weaver to 'Transform' for Avatar 2, 3 and 4

I
t has been known for some time that, despite her character's death in the first film, Sigourney Weaver is planning to return to the world of Pandora for James Cameron's upcoming Avatar sequels. Today, she tells Vulture that not only will she appear in all three sequels (to be shot back-to-back), but teases that her character will "transform" in some way.

"It will be challenging for me," she tells the outlet. "I can't talk about it, but my part is a little different in each one. I'll transform somewhat."

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
James Cameron talks writing three Avatar sequels simultaneously

It's been known for some time now that director James Cameron plans to shoot three sequels to his 2009 hit Avatar back-to-back-to-back, but he's never opened up about how he has managed to handle writing all three movies at the same time, until now. We know that last year Cameron assembled a team of writers to help him pen the screenplays, including Josh Friedman (War of the Worlds), Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planets of the Apes), and Shane Salerno (Savages, Salinger), and speaking this weekend at the Hero Complex Film Festival (via /Film), Cameron opened up about the writing process on these highly-anticipated sequels.

"We tried an experiment. We set ourselves a challenge of writing three films at the same time. And I could certainly write any one of them but to write three in some reasonable amount of time – we wanted to shoot them together so we couldn’t start one until all three scripts were done and approved. So I knew I was going to have to “parallel process” which meant I would have to work with other writers. And the best experience I had working with other writers was in television when I did Dark Angel. The television room is a highly collaborative, fun experience.'

"So we put together three teams, one for each script. The teams consist of me and another writer on each one of the three [films]. So I’m across all the films and then each one of them would have their own individual script they were responsible for. But what we did that was unique was we sat in the writing room for five months, eight hours a day, and we worked out every beat of the story across all three films so it all connects as one, sort of, three film saga. And I didn’t tell them which one was going to be their’s individually to write until the last day. So everyone was equally invested, story wise, in all three films.'

"So, for example, the guy that got movie three, which is middle one of this new trilogy, he now knows exactly what preceded and what follows out of what he’s writing at any given moment. We all consider that to be a really exciting, creative and groundbreaking experiment in screenwriting. I don’t know if that necessarily yields great scripts but it certainly worked for us as a process to get our minds around this kind of epic with all these new creatures, environments and characters and all that.'

"Cause the first thing I did was sat for a year and wrote 1500 pages of notes of the world and the cultures and the different clans and different animals and different biomes and so on. And had a lot of loose thematic stuff that ran through that but I didn’t a concrete story. I wanted to approach it more like, “Guys we’re going to adapt a novel or series of novels.” Because I felt that kind of detail, even if movies can’t ever be that detailed – it can be visually detailed, it can’t be that detailed in terms of character and culture. But you always get this tip of the iceberg kind of thing. You sense it’s there off camera or in the past of the moment that you’re seeing. So I felt that was the way to do it."

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
James Cameron sets Sigourney Weaver to return in three Avatar sequels

James Cameron has set Sigourney Weaver to return in the three Avatar sequels scheduled to begin production later this year, the Oscar-winning filmmaker announced today.

Weaver joins previously announced cast returnees Sam Worthington, Zoλ Saldana and Stephen Lang.

Commented James Cameron: "Sigourney and I have a long creative history, dating back to 1985 when we made 'Aliens.' We're good friends who've always worked well together,
so it just feels right that she's coming back for the 'Avatar' sequels. Her character of Grace Augustine, as fans know, died in the first movie, so she's playing a different and in many ways more challenging character in the upcoming films. We’re both looking forward to this new creative challenge, the latest chapter in our long and continuing collaboration."

stampol

Οι θυσίες...
Reaction score
Θ'αργησετε πολυ ακομα κε Cameron για το Avatar? τι θα γινει με σας? Παντως λεει θα γυριστει σε 4Κ native. Οποτε οσοι θα τους εχουν τοτε τους προβολεις θα το ευχαριστηθουν!!!

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
James Cameron boasts about Avatar 2, 3 and 4

As James Cameron tinkers away in New Zealand on Avatar 2, 3 and 4, he took the time to talk to Empire about the three back-to-back sequels that are expected to head into production imminently for release in 2016, ’17 and ’18, and he seemed rather pumped about what he has in store.

“I can tell you one thing about them,” Cameron laughs. “They’re gonna be bitchin’. You will sh*t yourself with your mouth wide open.”

Let’s not be too boastful, Mr. Cameron. Never one to rest on his laurels, the director had originally intended to shoot the new movies at 60 frames-per-second, but now it seems he’s switched gears on that front due to the fact that 48 FPS has already been somewhat established with The Hobbit movies.

“My thinking at the time was that 60 [FPS] might be a better segue to the video market,” he says. “I’ll be plugging into a system that’s a little more mature, so it makes sense for me to do 48 frames at this point.”

One of the reasons for delays in production has been the fine-tuning process on the three scripts by Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver, Josh Friedman and Shane Salerno, who apparently all broke the stories together.

“I think we met for seven months and we whiteboarded out every scene in every film together,” Cameron explains, “and I didn’t assign each writer which film they were going to work on until the last day. I knew if I assigned them their scripts ahead of time, they’d tune out every time we were talking about the other movie.”

Lastly, he mentions (in an issue edited by Peter Jackson, no less) that Jackson and his creative partners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens played an integral role in the first Avatar.

“When Neytiri is holding Jake and she’s just brought him back to consciousness, the ‘I see you’ line was suggested by them,” remembers Cameron. “It might have been Peter who said that.”

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
Avatar 2 delayed by one year due to additional work on the scripts

The Associated Press reports today from an event held by the New Zealand Screen Advisory Board where director James Cameron revealed that the release date of the upcoming Avatar 2 has been delayed from December 2016 to December 2017.

“There’s a layer of complexity in getting the story to work as a saga across three films that you don’t get when you’re making a stand-alone film,” said Cameron.“We’re writing three simultaneously. And we’ve done that so that everything tracks throughout the three films. We’re not just going to do one and then make up another one and another one after that and parallel with that, we’re doing all the design. So we’ve designed all the creatures and the environments.”

Cameron revealed he still plans to shoot all three sequels simultaneously and release them a year apart.

“We were probably a bit ambitious with [the film],” Cameron added (via 3news). “It took me six months to write the first and we’re writing three altogether.”

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
James Cameron offers Avatar sequels update, Now planning four films

Straight from the 20th Century Fox panel at CinemaCon, director James Cameron has brought an update on the upcoming Avatar sequels, revealing that instead of the previously-reported three movies, there will now be four sequels!

Cameron confirmed that each of the sequels are designed to stand on their own as individual stories, but will “form a complete saga” together.

The first of the Avatar sequels is slated to arrive December of 2018, with the second to follow in 2020, the third in 2022, and the final one in 2023. Production on Avatar 2 is set to begin in New Zealand, and was previously reported to begin this month.

Check out the new Avatar logo below!

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
James Cameron details his Avatar sequels plan

James Cameron made a surprise appearance last week at the tail end of 20th Century Fox‘s CinemaCon panel. There, the three-time Academy Award-winning filmmaker announced that four different Avatar sequels are on the way between now and 2023. Today, in a new interview with Famous Monsters of Filmland, Cameron reveals the plan isn’t to shoot all four films back to back. Instead, he’ll shoot four Avatar sequels at once!

“It’s really all one big production,” says Cameron. “It’s more the way you would shoot a miniseries. So we’ll be shooting across all [four films] simultaneously. So Monday I might be doing a scene from Movie Four, and Tuesday I’m doing a scene from Movie One… We’re working across, essentially, eight hours of story. It’s going to be a big challenge to keep it all fixed in our minds, exactly where we are, across that story arc at any given point… It’s a saga. It’s like doing all three ‘Godfather’ films at the same time.”

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
Shocker: Avatar 2 won’t release in 2018

The development of James Cameron’s Avatar sequels has been a long undertaking by the filmmaker since the original film’s release in 2009, with the number of features growing from three to four and frequent delays in release. Now, in an interview with The Star, Cameron has confirmed that the previously-announced 2018 release date won’t be met.

“Well, 2018 is not happening. We haven’t announced a firm release date. What people have to understand is that this is a cadence of releases. So we’re not making Avatar 2. We’re making Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5. It’s an epic undertaking. It’s not unlike building the Three Gorges dam. (Laughs) So I know where I’m going to be for the next eight years of my life. It’s not an unreasonable time frame if you think about it. It took us four-and-a-half years to make one movie and now we’re making four. We’re full tilt boogie right now. This is my day job and pretty soon we’ll be 24-7. We’re pretty well designed on all our creatures and sets. It’s pretty exciting stuff. I wish I could share with the world. But we have to preserve a certain amount of showmanship and we’re going to draw that curtain when the time is right.”

20th Century Fox had previously announced a December 2018 release date for the first sequel along with the reveal that subsequent films in the franchise would arrive in December 2020, December 2022, and December 2023, though that release pattern now remains to be seen.

Cameron also recently made an interesting, albeit spoilerish, reveal about the upcoming Pandora – The World of Avatar at Disney’s Animal Kingdom (via io9), saying the theme park attraction actually takes place in the canon of the films… but after all of the sequels.

“So it’s Avatar the first movie, then there are the four sequels that we’re working on now and then a whole generation after that, when all the conflict, all the struggle and all the warfare between the Na’vi and the humans is over; and the Na’vi have welcomed us to Pandora to help us understand nature and ourselves better.”

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
All four Avatar sequel release dates confirmed!

Since the first Avatar arrived in 2009, James Cameron has been hard at work on a follow-up which has grown from one sequel to two to three and now four movies, whose release dates have been in flux and delayed with frequency. Now, 20th Century Fox and Lightstorm Entertainment have announced the release dates for all four of the films via the official Avatar Facebook page along with a photo of James Cameron and his cast and crew!

“Great to be working with the best team in the business! Avatar takes flight as we begin concurrent production on four sequels. The journey continues December 18, 2020, December 17, 2021, December 20, 2024 and December 19, 2025!”

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
Joel David Moore to reprise his role for the Avatar sequels

Joel David Moore (Bones) is set to reprise the role of scientist Norm Spellman in the upcoming Avatar sequels from Fox, according to Deadline. We don’t know anything about the plot of the film other than it takes place underwater. Joel David Moore is known for his work on the long-running TV series Bones where he played Dr. Colin Fisher, the film Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story and Youth in Oregon.

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
Game of Thrones’ Oona Chaplin joins Avatar sequels

The Hollywood Reporter brings word that former Game of Thrones actress Oona Chaplin (Talisa Maegyr, the brief wife of Robb Stark in the series) has joined the cast of the four upcoming Avatar sequels. She will play the role of Varang, described as a strong and vibrant central character who spans the entire saga of the sequels. The granddaughter of the famous Charlie Chaplin, Oona’s other credits include Black Mirror, Taboo, Sherlock, and The Hour.

alexis

Reticular Activating System
Reaction score
Τελικά ο Δεκέμβριος 2021 ήταν η επίσημη ημερομηνία.
Πάει και αυτή.

Screenshot_20200724_091155.jpg

Μέλη online

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
alkapsal