Vivaldi browser

m1ts0s

News poster
Editor
Reaction score
Former Opera CEO Launches Vivaldi, A New Browser For Power Users

Opera’s former CEO Jon von Tetzchner is launching the first preview of Vivaldi today, a new Chromium-based browser that is squarely aimed at power users. Vivaldi features tools like Quick Commands for using written commands instead of the mouse, an Opera-like Speed Dial for quickly accessing bookmarks, a note-taking feature and the ability to organize tabs into stacks.

“We are making a browser for our friends,” von Tetzchner told me earlier this week. “Vivaldi is for all those people who want more from their browsers.”

Von Tetzchner told me earlier this week that he thought he would happily continue using Opera after he left the company. But then he decided to get back into the browser game after Opera decided to kill off its Presto engine and go after a different user base. “Opera was built around a community and a close connection with its users,” he told me. “I felt like that connection had been severed.”

“There are a lot of browsers available for the crowd that doesn’t want a lot from their browsers,” von Tetzchner argued. “We are going for the kind of user who spends a lot of time online, keeps a lot of tabs open and likes to work efficiently with a lot of content.

The Vivaldi team decided to go with Chromium as the foundation of the browser. The team was obviously too small to write its own engine from scratch, and while von Tetzchner also looked at using Mozilla’s engine and WebKit, he decided to go with Google’s project in the end.

I’ve used the preview of Vivaldi as my main browser for a full day now and the team is definitely on the right track. The design emphasizes simplicity, but there are also a few playful touches. The tabs and menus change color according to the dominant color in a site’s favicon, for example (you can turn this off, too). Like earlier versions of Opera, Vivaldi puts a menu strip in the left corner of the window to allow you easy access to your bookmarks and other browser tools.

There are lots of nifty little features already built in, including tab previews and the ability to move tabs to any corner of the browser window. At first, I thought the Quick Commands tools (which works a bit like Apple’s Spotlight) wouldn’t be all that useful, but once you start using this feature, it quickly becomes part of your routine, and I actually missed it when I went back to Chrome.

It’s still missing a couple of features I need for everyday use, though. There is no bookmarks bar yet, for example. You also can’t install any extensions yet, either (though Vivaldi already has the hooks for that built in and will enable them in one of the next previews).

https://vivaldi.com

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/27/vivaldi-the-four-browsers/

gkontoletas

trouble in my brain
Reaction score
Δοκιμάζω εδώ και λίγες ώρες την τελευταία 64bit έκδοση, μέχρι στιγμής τα συμπεράσματα είναι ανάμικτα.
Είναι λίγο καλύτερος από τον Chrome, δίνει τη δυνατότητα προβολής των αγαπημένων, είναι λίγο πιο γρήγορος σε μερικά sites και κάνει σωστό rendering σε sites που έχει πρόβλημα ο Chrome, αυτό είναι λίγο περίεργο μιας και χρησιμοποιούν ακριβώς την ίδια βάση.
Σε σχέση με τον IE11 χρησιμοποιεί περισσότερη μνήμη και πρέπει να βάλεις plug-ins για να κάνεις τα αυτονόητα....

Vivaldi.jpg

m1ts0s

News poster
Editor
Reaction score
Έχει πολύ δρόμο ακόμη, μιλάμε για pre-alpha κατάσταση. Βέβαια έχει σχετικά γρήγορο development.

m1ts0s

News poster
Editor
Reaction score
Vivaldi browser Technical Preview 4 is here!

Here are some of the highlights of TP4 (v.1.0.219.50):

Significant UI customizations
With TP4, we expanded UI customization options even more. Already, Vivaldi offers the most customizable user interface of all current web browsers (more than 155 million combinations, actually). Those are new today:

• Startpage customization
    • UI zoom
    • Cleaner Speed Dial and Speed Dial options
    • Light and Dark UI (with or without tab coloring enabled)
New Settings menu
As we are adding more configuration options, we’ve tweaked our Settings menu to provide a better and easier way to customize your browsing experience

Keyboard shortcut cheat sheet
A quick way to see all of your keyboard shortcuts.

Gestures with touchpad
We know mouse gestures are great, so we made them work even without a mouse with Altkey. Now you can use your favorite gesture with touchpad on your laptop with ease, too.

Tab switching with mouse wheel
One minor thing but something you asked for and we were happy to deliver.

Last edited:

m1ts0s

News poster
Editor
Reaction score
Vivaldi launches its first beta

We are very excited to announce that Vivaldi Beta is released for download today. With the first technical preview launch back in January this year, we set out to develop a web browser that was fast, powerful and customizable, for power users around the world.

Feature additions since the first technology preview

TP1 (released on 27.01.2015)

• Tab stacking
  • Notes
  • Speed Dial
  • Bookmarks manager
  • Downloads manager
  • Quick commands
  • Mouse gestures
  • Page actions
  • Sidebar
  • Colored tabs
  • Visual tabs
  • Recently closed tabs
  • Shortcuts
TP2 (released on 05.03.2015)
  • Bookmarks bar
  • On-demand image loading
  • Fast/Forward
  • Spatial navigation
  • TP3 (release on 28.04.2015)
  • Tab Stack Tiling
  • Unseen page marker
  • Native window
  • Autoupdate
  • Personal data importing
  • Plug-ins on demand
  • Background tabs loading indicator
TP4 (release on 16.07.2015)
  • Startup options
  • Color schemes
  • UI zoom
  • HiDPI support
  • Pinned tabs
  • Task manager
Beta 1 (released on 03.11.2015)
  • Web-panels
  • Chromeless UI
  • Tabs visual navigation
  • Private window
  • Page loading progress indicator
  • Typed history list
  • Smooth scrolling
  • Geolocation support
  • HTML5 h.264 support
  • Full Extensions support
https://vivaldi.com

m1ts0s

News poster
Editor
Reaction score
Επίσης:

"Email
Now that’s a double treat – your e-mail client built into your web browser. E-mail is still undeniably important to many of us. Vivaldi offers a robust, efficient, light-weight mail client. And, it's going to be called M3. Stay tuned for updates."

Τον χρησιμοποιώ όλο και πιο συχνά από τότε που εμφανίστηκε και μου αρέσει αρκετά. Θυμίζει όντως Opera της Presto εποχής. Θα τσεκάρω λίγο και την beta 1 και όπως το βλέπω θα γίνει ο κύριος browser.

wizzy

Music is our (Supernatural) friend!
Reaction score
[...]Τον χρησιμοποιώ όλο και πιο συχνά από τότε που εμφανίστηκε και μου αρέσει αρκετά. Θυμίζει όντως Opera της Presto εποχής. Θα τσεκάρω λίγο και την beta 1 και όπως το βλέπω θα γίνει ο κύριος browser.
Αντιμετώπισες προβλήματα συμβατότητας με ιστοσελίδες;

wizzy

Reaction score
Προς το παρόν όχι
Από πλευράς ιδιωτικότητας (privacy) πως πάει; Έχει π.χ. ad blocking, μας "παρακολουθεί" όπως ο Chrome ή είναι πιο "αγνός";:)

m1ts0s

News poster
Editor
Reaction score
εγώ προσωπικά έχω κουμπώσει το ublock origin και είμαι μια χαρά

wizzy

Reaction score
ΟΚ, για να καταλάβω, ο Vivaldi έχει ήδη δική του "βάση" με extensions, μεταξύ των οποίων και το uBlock Origin;

abcd

Πρώην Διοικητής ο τροπαιοφόρος
Super Moderator
Reaction score

xfader

Segregation supporter
Administrator
Reaction score
ΟΚ, για να καταλάβω, ο Vivaldi έχει ήδη δική του "βάση" με extensions, μεταξύ των οποίων και το uBlock Origin;
Παίρνει πλέον τα extensions του Chrome. edit: δεν είχα δει το ποστ του m1ts0s

Το uBlock Origin είναι το πιο χρήσιμο extension σε όλους τους browsers που χρησιμοποιώ.

wizzy

Reaction score
Guys, σας ευχαριστώ για τις πληροφορίες. Θα κάνω τις δοκιμές μου και θα επανέλθω.

Staff online

• abcd
    Πρώην Διοικητής ο τροπαιοφόρος
  • Zizik
    Chauncey Gardiner * tl;dr *
  • n_olympios
    Μαντιναδόρος!
  • xfader
    Segregation supporter

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members