ConvoFS - a convolving file system

m1ts0s

News poster
Editor
Reaction score
'ConvoFS is a a little coding project based on a stray thought and an because-we-can philosophy. As I’ve become happy with it, I’ve used time polishing it so that others can use it.

The short version: ConvoFS enables the use of Digital Room Correction (DRC) in streaming setups with music stored on your own disk/NAS. Ie: it does not support streaming services like Spotify/Wimp/Tidal.

The longer version: ConvoFS is a small Linux virtual file system sitting in between a music repository (either on the local disk or mounted from a NAS share) and a media server like Minimserver/Logitech Media Server (LMS). ConvoFS intercepts any access to FLAC media files and – using brutefir – transparently offers read-only convolved versions.

Tested environment: ConvoFS is believed to work with most audio renderers like Linn, Auralic and Lumin. I use AudioLense for measuring room acoustics and generating filters. I believe ConvoFS should work with Accourate and other products too, but definitely not with Dirac.

Technical digression: For the technically minded and audiophiles, it may be worth mentioning that ConvoFS presents any FLAC file as uncompressed (verbatim format ) 24 bit FLAC regardless of the compression level / resolution of the source file. The source file is naturally not touched.

License: ConvoFS is open source (GPL). Please refer to the ConvoFS distribution / web interface for details.

Development status: Barring installer errors that may have survived testing on a clean server, ConvoFS is production ready and stable. I use it on a permanent basis.

Hardware/software requirements: ConvoFS is developed and tested with Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS. The installer will refuse to run if it detects a non-debian basedsystem. Given sufficient Linux skills you should, however, be able install it on other Linux flavors. There’s one known user running it on a Raspberry Pi2 running Debian 7.8.

Feed-back: If you find ConvoFS useful and use it or run into troubles, you’re kindly requested to drop me a note at [email protected] I won’t spam you but I like to know if it is actually used in the wild, if there’s 2/10/100 users out there and what combinations of music servers / streaming hardware are being used.

Installation on Linux: refer to the README file in the downloaded distribution file. In addition, it could be an advantage to study the non-Synology specific sections in the ConvoFS for Synology page (starting at the configuration section). You’ll find the link to it in top of this page.'

http://www.aysabtu.dk/blog/convofs/

'...if you own a Synology NAS box, please also read this page]'

Μέλη online

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
alkapsal