Τι ωραιο ΕΞΩΦΥΛΛΟ.....

Reaction score
απαλλοτρειωμενο :)

The lifeless body of a hanged student outside Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand (1976).

The Massacre of 6 October 1976, was an attack on students and protesters that occurred on the campus of Thammasat University and at Sanam Luang in Bangkok. Students from various universities were demonstrating against the return to Thailand of Field Marshall Thanom Kittikachorn, a former military ruler. By the official count, fourty-six people (maybe hunderds) died and in the attack, during which protesters were shot, beaten and their bodies mutilated. Thousands were arrested.

Associated Press photographer Neal Ulevich covered the Vietnam War for five years. But nothing he saw in the jungle prepared him for the morning of Oct. 6, when right-wing students attack left-wing students near the university. "When I got there, it was getting more and more violent. Paramilitary troops heavily armed with recoilless rifles showed up. The left-wing students were not armed and were not shooting back. They took refuge in the university buildings.

"Tremendous volleys of automatic weapons were fired across the soccer fields into the classrooms. There were bodies all over, glass breaking. There was no place to take cover. I was very scared."

Finally, the left-wing students surrender. Ulevich heads for the gates, anxious to get his pictures back to his office. "I saw some commotion in the trees. I walked down there and I saw a body hanging. He was certainly dead, but the crowd was so enraged that a man was hitting the body on the head with a folding chair. I stood there to see if anybody was looking at me. Nobody was. I took a few frames and walked away." That was when the picture of the post had taken. The photographer won the Pulitzer prize in 1977 for this photograph.

In the end, an irony, as Neal Ulevich says: "When I won the Pulitzer, the Bangkok papers noted it on Page One. They were very proud that a photographer from Bangkok had won the Pulitzer. They didn't show the pictures."

Dead Kennedys use this photo for their second single called "Holiday in Cambodia" that released in May 1980. The title track attacks both Eastern totalitarianism and Western complacency. The song's lyrics offer a satirical view of young, self-righteous Americans (So you been to school/For a year or two/And you know you’ve seen it all/In daddy’s car/Thinkin’ you’ll go far...) and contrast such a lifestyle with a brutal depiction of the Pol Pot regime of Cambodia (Well you’ll work harder/With a gun in your back/For a bowl of rice a day/Slave for soldiers/Till you starve/Then your head is skewered on a stake).

Reaction score
Londonberry, Northen Ireland, 1971.jpg

Young rioters trying to escape from clouds of CS gas released by the troops in Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 8th July 1971.

The picture above was taken by the photographer Don McCullin, who is particularly recognized for his war photography and images of urban strife. That was back in 1971 in Londonderry, Northern Ireland when two men killed by the British Army.

Some of the worst violence in the town for three years flared up that afternoon when a crowd of 200 gathered in Lecky Street at the news of an army shooting earlier in the day.

Welder and former boxer Seamus Cusack, 28, died in Letterkenny District Hospital of a gunshot wound. Troops opened fire, initially with rubber bullets and CS gas, but they failed to disperse the crowd. The rioters retaliated by throwing three nail bombs. The army returned fire. One man was shot in the stomach and five soldiers are reported to have been injured by the missiles. The man was dead on arrival at hospital. He was identified as 19-year-old GeorgeDesmond Beattie of Donegal Street, Bogside.

There was a lull in the violence after Mr Beattie had been shot and a group of factory girls marched in silence through the area carrying black bags.

R-390456-1320161626.jpeg

This picture was used by Killing Joke for the cover of their debut album in 1980.

Gojakla

Αρχαιολάγνος πιουριτανίστας
Reaction score
"The cover features a photo of the self-immolation of Thích Quảng Đức, a Vietnamese monk, in Saigon in 1963. The monk was protesting President Ngô Đình Diệm's administration for oppressing the Buddhist religion. The photograph drew international attention and persuaded U.S. President John F. Kennedy to withdraw support for Ngô Đình Diệm's government. It was taken by Associated Press correspondent Malcolm Browne ; a similar photograph earned the award of World Press Photo of the Year in 1963."

Reaction score
London Calling

Paul Simonon smashing his bass in New York City (1979).

The photographer Pennie Smith took a picture of Paul Simonon smashing his Fender Precision bass against the stage at The Palladium in New York City on 21 September 1979, during the "Clash Take the Fifth" US tour of The Clash.

The photograph went on to be used on the cover of the their "London Calling" album, but the photographer originally did not want the photograph to be used. She thought that it was too out of focus, but Joe Strummer and the graphic designer thought it would make a good album cover. In 2002, Smith's photograph received Q magazine’s "Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll Photograph of All-Time" award in 2002, commenting that "it captures the ultimate rock'n'roll moment - total loss of control".

The cover artwork was designed by Ray Lowry and was a homage to the design of Elvis Presley's debut album. The cover named the ninth best album cover of all time by Q magazine in 2001.

Staff online

• abcd
    Πρώην Διοικητής ο τροπαιοφόρος
  • Zizik
    Chauncey Gardiner * tl;dr *
  • PeterMeni
    DIY - "Επαγγελματίας"

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
albie