Audio Spectrum questions from the UK

Reaction score
Hello!
I have found some new old stock AS speakers here in the UK. They are still in the original box and even sealed in their plastic. Strange enough, there are no labels and serial numbers. One set is the Xanadu, another is the Axxia (I think) and a big floorstander with no name. I have two questions:
1) can you post as much information as possible on these models? I cannot find anything online.
2) I have an old Arcam ∂ 290 (75W) which I can also bi-amp with another one. Which AS speaker do you think is best for me? I listen to records and to CD, mostly acoustic jazz, classical quartets and rarely some folk or progressive rock.
You are the only forum with lots of knowledge on the Audio Spectrum speakers, I really hope you can help me.
Thank you in advance! Massimo

Attachments

Reaction score
Hello!
I have found some new old stock AS speakers here in the UK. They are still in the original box and even sealed in their plastic. Strange enough, there are no labels and serial numbers. One set is the Xanadu, another is the Axxia (I think) and a big floorstander with no name. I have two questions:
1) can you post as much information as possible on these models? I cannot find anything online.
2) I have an old Arcam ∂ 290 (75W) which I can also bi-amp with another one. Which AS speaker do you think is best for me? I listen to records and to CD, mostly acoustic jazz, classical quartets and rarely some folk or progressive rock.
You are the only forum with lots of knowledge on the Audio Spectrum speakers, I really hope you can help me.
Thank you in advance! Massimo
Welcome Massimo. Here, you will find a lot of info for sure.
Welcome Massimo. The floor standers are the Hermes TL model i think. You will get a lot of info from other members, for sure.

ika

News
Reaction score
Hermes was always the top model of AS, so if your amps are able to support them as a load and if you have the room space, I would suggest to try Hermes TLS floorstanders.

Reaction score
Thank you everybody! Please, if you prefer, feel free to answer in English. Google Chrome translates the pages very well. That is how I found you! :)
Probably I can get the speakers for almost nothing: £ 70-100 (about €150!) for a pair!!!
What is the sensitivity of the Hermes? are they very hard?
I'm testing the Axxia and they sound very nice.
In the past I have had great systems: for example Audio Note amps driving four ESL57. But that it's in the past. Now I can't really afford to spend on HI-FI anymore. This looks like a great opportunity.
I look forward to your ideas! Thank you again!
[DOUBLEPOST=1530555609][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thank you everybody! Please, if you prefer, feel free to answer in Greek. Google Chrome translates the pages very well. That is how I found you! :)
Probably I can get the speakers for almost nothing: £ 70-100 (about €150!) for a pair!!!
In the past I have had great systems: for example Audio Note amps driving four ESL57. But that it's in the past. Now I can't really afford to spend on HI-FI anymore. This looks like a great opportunity.

Reaction score
Thank you everybody! Please, if you prefer, feel free to answer in English. Google Chrome translates the pages very well. That is how I found you! :)
[DOUBLEPOST=1530555609][/DOUBLEPOST]
150 for a never play Hermes or even Xanadu is like a dream...take it...yesterday! Hermes first or Xanadu according to your listening room.

Reaction score
Hi Massimo..

First of all, do not forget that by buying the Hermes TLS at such a low price, you make an investment because these
speakers were a model before the top APOLLON, which was previously the flagship of the company.
It clearly has power requirements which means you will need a good amplifier at least in Power Supply
If you are not able to drive it with a high-quality integrated or power amplifier, you can buy a cheaper power amplifier which will give the required Power.
Naturally, a cheap power amp will not let you unravel all the magic of the acoustic spectrum that this speaker can deliver, but at least you will be able to drive it more accurately and secure than ever with a low-power integrated amplifier.
Do not forget that it is a loudspeaker that delivers high intensities with incredible clarity if it is correctly driven with a similar amplifier and good source. analog or digital

About the specifications here all i have..

Audio Spectrum AXXIA
Two ways
1 x tweeter 1", 1 x woofer 6,5"
8ohm
87db/W/m
40Hz-25Khz
Recomended Power - 25-100wrms
Height-Wide-Deep = 420x235x345mm
Weight=16Kg

Audio Spectrum HERMES TLS
Three ways
1 x tweeter 1", 1 x midrange 6,5", 2 x woofer 8"
8ohm
91db/W/m
20Hz-25Khz
Recomended Power - 50-300wrms
Height-Wide-Deep = 1150x310x440mm
Weight=48Kg

Reaction score
You are a lucky man.
Xanadu better to be avoided, very demanding pair of speakers, if you feed it properly it can play hi-end.

If you can get Hermes TLS take it, they are fabulous speakers.

Go for it, worth every penny.

P.S. A good inspection of woofer suspension is absolutely needed. If they are made of rubber should be ok, if there is foam take a good look there was a problem with old SEAS drivers.

Reaction score
Thank you AGAIN! here is an update.
The Axxia are playing very well with my Arcam ∂ 290. In a way I could be happy with those, I probably can pay something like €50-80 for the pair, but after your comments I'm really tempted to get the Hermes!
I don't listen to music very loud. The Axxia sound more loud than enough with less than 1/2 volume up. For the Hermes, 91db sensitivity is pretty good, why you think that the 70W of the Arcam are not good enough? (see specifications in the picture) What kind of problems would I get?
Remember that I could bi-amp them. This should help, shouldn't it?
Do the Hermes require a large room? Mine is small.
Thank you for all your help!!!

Attachments

daharis666

Επαγγελματίας Crystalator Μονολιθίξ
Reaction score
Thank you AGAIN! here is an update.
The Axxia are playing very well with my Arcam ∂ 290. In a way I could be happy with those, I probably can pay something like €50-80 for the pair, but after your comments I'm really tempted to get the Hermes!
I don't listen to music very loud. The Axxia sound more loud than enough with less than 1/2 volume up. For the Hermes, 91db sensitivity is pretty good, why you think that the 70W of the Arcam are not good enough? (see specifications in the picture) What kind of problems would I get?
Remember that I could bi-amp them. This should help, shouldn't it?
Do the Hermes require a large room? Mine is small.
Thank you for all your help!!!
dimensions of your room?

Reaction score
My room is about 4x3m (about 12 sq.m.) may be a bit more, with a large sofa opposite the stereo.
[DOUBLEPOST=1530574433][/DOUBLEPOST]SEAS UPDATE

I contacted SEAS to have information about the drivers and they replied:

"Dear Massimo,
If a SEAS driver has been stored in an indoor environment. Not high temperature and humidity, they may last for 25 years. The weak point is always the natural rubber. As with cars, they do not last forever.
We remember this Greek customer, but we do not have any record of the drivers we sold. If you have a label, or an H-number, we will be able to tell what model this is.
Kind regards, SEAS Fabrikker AS"

Does any of you know which drivers were installed in the Axxia and in the Hermes?
Do you know when Audio Spectrum closed down? which year?

Last edited:

daharis666

Reaction score
My room is about 4x3m (about 12 sq.m.) with a large sofa opposite the stereo.
Yeap...Hermes are too large for your room :(

IMO you should pick xanadu...
+ you will definitely need another amplifier...like ika said

P.S. Who is this guy selling all this Greek stuff :lolsign:?
can you take your amplifier there to hear them by yourself?

Reaction score
P.S. Who is this guy selling all this Greek stuff :lolsign:?
It's a strange place. A large warehouse with all kinds of things bought from companies closing down or gone to auction. Restaurants, offices, shops, anything really. I could count 8 pairs of Hermes, I don't know how many Axxia and Xanadu because the boxes are all the same, but probably about 10 pairs of them. He also has a number of small amplifiers from the american PARASOUND, but they are from the late 80s and quite useless.
He doesn't have any idea of the value of those speakers. If I had the money I would buy everything and sell it on eBay!

can you take your amplifier there to hear them by yourself?
No, but he's ok for me to take them home to test them!

daharis666

Reaction score
It's a strange place. A large warehouse with all kinds of things bought from companies closing down or gone to auction. Restaurants, offices, shops, anything really. I could count 8 pairs of Hermes, I don't know how many Axxia and Xanadu because the boxes are all the same, but probably about 10 pairs of them. He also has a number of small amplifiers from the american PARASOUND, but they are from the late 80s and quite useless.
He doesn't have any idea of the value of those speakers. If I had the money I would buy everything and sell it on eBay!
:o:o:o

Staff online

• abcd
    Πρώην Διοικητής ο τροπαιοφόρος

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
corfu11