AVM R5.3 Turntable

Mr Spock

demokratischer - sektor
Reaction score
The AVM R5.3 is a real-world “form follows function” design that any Bauhaus artist would have been proud of

If you are looking for a massive 100-pound-plus be-hemoth that will give you angst from delivery to every time you spin a record, this isn’t your turntable. The R5.3 is actually fun to live with and easy to operate, and its size, design, set-up, and leveling features make it as easy to operate as any turntable I know of. The tonearm also comes with a range of weights, and the tonearm’s mass and headshell design make it compatible with almost all modern cartridges...

i did a great deal of listening to a wide range of records in trying out the R5.3. Some of my favorite LPs are on the Accent label and date back to a time when I could sometimes hear live solo and chamber music performances by the recording artists. I was struck then at how lifelike these records could be on a good system, and the AVM R5.3 shows that the state of the art in turntables and cartridges has advanced a long way towards even greater realism...

The R5.3 measured very well in tempo and pitch without any hint of resonance-induced coloration. It is a relatively low-torque unit, and you do need to let it get up to full speed before lowering the tonearm, but it has a surprising amount of mass for a relatively compact design, and unlike some other relatively low-torque designs it can provide very good lower midrange and deep bass with a lot of clarity and detail. It is a bit “lighter” in overall timbre, musical dynamics, and deep bass than some larger, more massive designs, but not to the point where it can’t handle rock, or do an excellent job with demanding direct-to-disc recordings...

Specs
Nominal speed: 33/45rpm
Speed variance: 33rpm: ± < 0.12%, 45rpm: ± < 0.10%
Wow and flutter: 33rpm: ± < 0.10%, 45rpm: ± < 0.09%
Signal to noise: -72dB
Effective tonearm mass: 15g
Dimensions: 18.5" x 15.4" x 6.9"
Weight (without box): 26.5 lbs. (turntable), 12 lbs. (platter)

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/avm-r53-turntable/

https://avm.audio/masterpieces/turntables/rotation-r-5-3/

Staff online

• xfader
    Segregation supporter
  • Zizik
    Chauncey Gardiner * tl;dr *
  • rose.athens
    Not in the mood Mod
  • abcd
    Πρώην Διοικητής ο τροπαιοφόρος

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ