Esoteric E-02 Phonostage

Mr Spock

demokratischer - sektor
Reaction score
As usual, I’ll save a fuller technical description for the Technically Speaking sidebar. In keeping with the opening theme here, though, I’ll single out that the E-02 has a very high mc gain of 72dB in balanced mode, whereas the E-03 has a maximum gain of 66dB. Every 6dB is a doubling of electrical gain (voltage). (3dB is a doubling of acoustical volume “loudness.”) This means that what looks to be “just” a 6dB difference is actually twice the amplification power!

There are inputs for three turntables (two RCA and one XLR), but otherwise there is no learning curve. All buttons are in front of you, and it’s the kind of component you’ll soon set and forget. So, if you’re the kind of analog devotee who wants multiple EQ options other than RIAA, or if you think you need your cartridge loaded at exactly 488 ohms, you should look elsewhere for your phonostage. Don’t worry, it just means you have fewer chances to screw it up (harsh, but true).

Some of my favorite other phonostages from Nagra, E.A.R., and Luxman (the EQ-500, in particular) all add in (to a greater or lesser degree) a bit of identifiable “juice.” Perhaps not coincidentally, they all combine step-up transformers with tubes, and each of them has a very engaging character that can see them through poorer recordings. Their “juicy” goodness can be a fall-back when the recording completely fails. The Esoteric does not have this “extra” color. As such, I could see some listeners judging it as unforgiving. I never felt limited, however. In fact, the E-02’s rare ability to allow me to elevate recordings like Holland’s Emerald Tears to the front of the stack more than offset its resistance to putting lipstick on a pig.

Specs
Inputs: One balanced on XLR jacks (moving coil), two unbalanced on RCA jacks (moving coil or moving magnet)
Input impedance: Moving coil, 10, 50, 100, 200, 300, 500, 1k, 10k ohms; moving magnet, 47k ohms
Outputs: XLR/ES-LINK analog connectors (creates active ground when connected to an Esoteric ES-LINK equipped preamplifier or integrated amplifier), 1 pair; RCA connectors, 1 pair
Output impedance: XLR, 20 ohms; RCA, 23.5 ohms
RIAA accuracy: ±0.2dB, 10Hz–20kHz
THD: 0.007%, 1kHz, mm, rated output
Output level: RCA, 2V RMS; XLR, 4V RMS
Gain: RCA, mm 40dB, mc 66dB; XLR, mm 46dB, mc 72dB
Input sensitivity: (1kHz, rated output), mm 20mV, mc 1mV
Maximum input level: (at 0.1% distortion) mm 100mV, mc 4.8mV
S/N ratio: Moving-magnet 100dB, moving-coil 80dB
Channel separation: (mm, 10kHz, IHF-A) >96dB
Subsonic filter: 17Hz, 6dB/octave
Dimensions: 17 5/8" x 5 ¼" x 14 ¼"
Weight: 27.5 lbs.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/esoteric-e-02-phonostage/

http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esoteric/e02/indexe.html

costas EAR

Δόκτωρ ΔιαXύσιος
Editor
Reaction score
3dB is a doubling of acoustical volume “loudness.”)
Αυτό είναι λάθος ...
Φυσικά το συνεχίζει.
Φυσικά αυτοί στο TAS δεν έχουν ιδέα από τεχνικά θέματα, και δε τους χρειάζεται κιόλας.

Για τα υπόλοιπα, δεν σχολιάζω.

Last edited:

Staff online

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
Nardo