Klipsch Klipschorn AK6 loudspeaker

Mr Spock

demokratischer - sektor
Reaction score
1565771476869.png

The Klipschorn AK6 is a three-way, fully horn-loaded loudspeaker of considerably greater-than-average size and sensitivity: It measures approximately 53" high by 31" wide and 28" deep, tips the scales at 220 lb each, and is said to require only 1W of power to produce a sound pressure level of 105dB, which is on a par with a jackhammer, a gas-powered chainsaw, and a five-string banjo.

1565771345377.png

for reproducing the approximately 3.25 octaves between 450Hz and 4.5kHz, the AK6 uses a compression driver with a 2" phenolic diaphragm, loaded with an exponential horn molded from rubber-impregnated ABS plastic, with a 16.5" wide by 5.5" high mouth. Installed just above that horn is a far smaller horn—its mouth is 4.25" by 1.75"—molded from fiberglass-impregnated ABS plastic in a Tractrix flare, driven by a compression driver with a 1" phenolic diaphragm. The midrange and treble drivers are mounted inside a 12"-tall upper cabinet, the four stiff rubber feet of which engage with recesses made for them in the top surface of the bass cabinet.

I began with the backs of the Klipschorn AK6s a short distance from the front wall—their front surfaces, measured at the centers of the cabinets, were a little more than 3' from that wall, and a little more than 8' apart from each other—and with the speakers slightly toed-in toward the center listening seat. At first, I relied on my reference Shindo Haut-Brion power amp, which uses push-pull 6L6 tubes, operated as pentodes and without feedback, to deliver 20Wpc.

1565771493531.png

The sheer tactile immediacy and startling clarity of the solo tenor saxes on Sonny Rollins and Coleman Hawkins' Sonny Meets Hawk! (LP, RCA/Classic Records LSP-2712) were almost without precedent in my home. But there was very little bass, and musical involvement was compromised by a lack of coherence: Those remarkable sounds weren't jelling into a comprehensible whole.

1565771563556.png

I found in the Klipschorn AK6 an imperfect loudspeaker that satisfied many of my long-standing longings and a couple I didn't know I had—for amazing sound way off-axis, and for big, beautiful pieces of old-school audio art in my listening room. The AK6 also seems to offer exceptional value: for the technology, woodworking, and sheer size it offers, $14,998 for a pair of these is a steal. No one with a taste for realistic playback, and especially no one with a taste for low-power amps and high-sensitivity speakers, should miss a chance to hear these.

Description: Three-way horn-loaded loudspeaker. High-frequency driver: Klipsch K-771 compression driver with 1" polyimide diaphragm, loaded with a polymer Tractrix horn. Midrange driver: Klipsch K-55-X compression driver with 2" phenolic diaphragm, loaded with a polymer exponential horn. Bass driver: Klipsch 15" K-33-E woofer with fiber-composite cone, loaded with 8' bidirectional folded horn. Crossover frequencies: 450Hz and 4.5kHz. Frequency response: 33Hz–20kHz, ±4dB. Sensitivity: 105dB/2.83V/m. Nominal impedance: "8 ohms compatible."
Dimensions: 53" (134.6mm) H by 31.25" (79.4mm) W by 28.25" (71.75mm) D Weight: 220 lb (100kg) each.
Finishes: Satin black ash, American walnut, Natural cherry.
Serial numbers: 106644619150001 and 106644619150002.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-klipschorn-ak6-loudspeaker#7qCgcC021hz9FjoL.99

Attachments

Mr Spock

demokratischer - sektor
Reaction score
Klipsch specifies the Klipschorn's sensitivity as 105dB/2.83V/m, which is extraordinarily high. My estimate was lower, at 101.1dB(B)/2.83V/m, but this is still the second-highest sensitivity of all the speakers I have measured over the past 30 years.

Klipsch specifies the Klipschorn's nominal impedance as "8 ohms compatible." This is optimistic: Not only does the speaker's impedance magnitude (fig.1, solid trace) drop to 3 ohms in the midbass and 2.7 ohms in the upper bass, but the electrical phase angle (dotted trace) is sometimes extreme. There are current-demanding combinations of 4.1 ohms and –43° phase angle at 44Hz and 4.1 ohms and +43° phase angle at 139Hz. Despite its very high sensitivity, the Klipschorn will not be at its best with amplifiers that are not comfortable driving 4 ohm loads.

1565771841926.png

Klipsch Klipschorn, difference in the anechoic response, 300Hz–30kHz, on tweeter axis at 50" due to substitution of a Shindo Haut-Brion amplifier for a Krell KSA-50 (5dB/vertical div.).

1565771879875.png

lipsch Klipschorn, acoustic crossover on tweeter axis at 50", corrected for microphone response, with the nearfield woofer response (red) plotted below 675Hz.

1565771929911.png

lipsch Klipschorn, step response on tweeter axis at 50" (5ms time window, 30kHz bandwidth).

1565771995482.png

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content...-loudspeaker-measurements#QEBcKaRsWZVgVvAA.99
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content...-loudspeaker-measurements#QEBcKaRsWZVgVvAA.99

Vakis2000

Κλιψ κλαψ
Reaction score
Όνειρα!

Η πρώτη μου εμπειρία με μηχανήματα ήχου κοντά στο τέλος της δεκαετίας 6 αρχές 7? ήταν ένα σετ με τα παραπάνω ηχεία, ενισχυτικά κούκλες της εποχής, μπομπινόφωνο κλπ, σε σπίτι Γιατρού στην Αγία Παρασκευή! Μπατιράκος εγώ και οι γονείς μου, όπως οι περισσότεροι, έπαθα πλάκα που λένε, άπιαστο όνειρο φυσικά! Με τις ώρες χάζευα, με τα μάτια, με τα αυτιά! Αξέχαστη Εμπειρία! Πως να μην ερωτευθώ κατόπιν τούτο το χόμπι!

Mr Spock

demokratischer - sektor
Reaction score
- η δική μου , στην έκθεση του Λάιου στην 3ης Σεπτεμβρίου πρίν 15+ χρόνια με κάτι λαμπάτο σε ενισχυτικά αλλά πικάπ linn με κάποια ξύλινη grado . . . απλά είχα εντυπωσιαστεί , παρ΄όλο που ο χώρος του ήταν ανέκαθεν αφρόντιστος

costas EAR

Δόκτωρ ΔιαXύσιος
Editor
Reaction score
Μεγάλη απογοήτευση ενός εξαιρετικού ηχείου στην εποχή του, αυτή η νέα έκδοση..

Πέραν της όντως υψηλής ευαισθησίας που φτάνει τα 101 ντεσιμπέλ:

Klipsch specifies the Klipschorn's sensitivity as 105dB/2.83V/m, which is extraordinarily high. My estimate was lower, at 101.1dB(B)/2.83V/m, but this is still the second-highest sensitivity of all the speakers I have measured over the past 30 years.

Όλα τα υπόλοιπα είναι για κλάματα:

Klipsch specifies the Klipschorn's nominal impedance as "8 ohms compatible." This is optimistic: Not only does the speaker's impedance magnitude (fig.1, solid trace) drop to 3 ohms in the midbass and 2.7 ohms in the upper bass, but the electrical phase angle (dotted trace) is sometimes extreme. There are current-demanding combinations of 4.1 ohms and –43° phase angle at 44Hz and 4.1 ohms and +43° phase angle at 139Hz.

In addition, the very large difference between the average impedance in the bass and the rise to 20.7 ohms at 1.5kHz means that the speaker's perceived tonal balance will be very dependent on the amplifier's output impedance.

The only part of the two enclosures where panel resonances might give rise to audible problems is the front of the woofer bin. When I investigated this panel's vibrational behavior with a plastic-tape accelerometer, I found a fairly strong resonant mode at 316Hz, with others almost as strong to either side of it (fig.3). There were also some low-level modes in the upper bass. I could just hear these modes with the noise-like MLSSA signal and my ear close to the panel.

Γενικά πρόκειται για ένα ηχείο ανέκδοτο, για απαράδεκτη συμπεριφορά σε οποιαδήποτε μέτρηση.

Θαυμάστε καμώματα:

Για τα σημερινά δεδομένα πιστότητας, είναι ένα ηχείο σταθμός στο αισχος.

Και φυσικά, λέει το προφανές ο άνθρωπος:

Multiway loudspeakers with horn-loaded drivers but a flat baffle can be made time-coincident with digital signal processing. As the Klipschorn has separate input terminals for each of its three drive-units, I can't help wondering what a fully DSP-corrected, tri-amplified version of this loudspeaker, with the high sensitivity coupled with optimized step and frequency responses, would sound like.—John Atkinson

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content...-loudspeaker-measurements#GEZdv88EQz4wmwIo.99

costas EAR

Δόκτωρ ΔιαXύσιος
Editor
Reaction score
Το ανέκδοτο των περιγραφών των ακροάσεων που κάνει ο ένας, το αποκαλύπτει σε όλη του την έκταση ο άλλος στις μετρήσεις, καθώς του δείχνει ότι άκουγε τις τυχαίες ισοσταθμισεις με τις διαφορετικές αντιστάσεις εξόδου των ενισχυτικών που χρησιμοποίησε!

Μέχρι και σχεδιάγραμμα διαφοράς απόκρισης με έναν solid state ενισχυτή χαμηλής αντίστασης εξόδου ανέβασε ο δεύτερος, που αποτελεί το ανέκδοτο της ημέρας!

Ντροπή και αισχος στην κλιψ.

Θα έπρεπε να εμφανίσει ένα σύγχρονο ενεργό ηχείο, διορθωμένο με dsp και με σοβαρές μετρήσεις.

Α-πα-ρά-δε-κτη.

Θυσιάστηκαν τα πάντα όλα, για υψηλή ευαισθησία, λες και εν έτει 2020 που μπαίνουμε σε λίγο, δεν υπάρχουν ενισχυτικά πάνω από 50 βατ! Έλεος...

The Klipschorn's measured behavior reveals that the performance parameters that are generally held in the 21st century to correlate with good sound quality in both the time and frequency domains have been compromised to achieve that astonishingly high sensitivity.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content...-loudspeaker-measurements#BZGOioWcwLDVXJBk.99

Reaction score
Δεν ημουν ποτε φιλος του ηχου της εν λογω εταιρίας.Παντα μου φαινοντουσαν σκληρα και με ενοχλουσε ο τρόπος που έπαιζαν οι κόρνες τους,μαλλον λογικό γιατι με ειχαν κερδισει οι Αγγλοι της B&W που χαρακτηριζόντουσαν θαμποι στα πρίμα.Προφανώς η αναβίωση έρχεται προσπαθωντας πάρει μεριδιο αγοράς, απο τις πετυχημενες αναβιώσεις της Jbl.

A

amoustakas

Τελικά τα κατήντησαν ψαροκασέλες όπως λέει ο κος Κόγιας... Πολύ κρίμα.
Ας ελπίσουμε να βγεί τουλάχιστον ενεργή έκδοση των Heresy.

Mr Spock

demokratischer - sektor
Reaction score
Μια παράκληση (και συγνώμη για το οφ τόπικ) Πού μπορώ να διαβάσω, πώς διαβάζεται η μέτρηση αυτή?
View attachment 135172 View attachment 135172

Vakis2000

Κλιψ κλαψ
Reaction score
Γιατί να μπλέξεις ? 2019 έχομε και δόξα το Θεό, γεμάτη η αγορά. Κάτι που το 1960 μεσουρανούσε δεν είναι απαραίτητο να το κάνει και σήμερα. Εύκολο χρήμα για την εταιρεία το όνομα! Όμως πρέπει να ακολουθούνται και κάποιοι κανόνες συνέπειας!

Reaction score
Τί τραγικές μετρήσεις είναι αυτές. Υψηλή ευαισθησία, ε και; Σου πετάει το ντουλάπι να σου πουλήσει ρετρό αισθητική, υψηλή ευαισθησία για να δουλέψουν τους πλούσιους ότι με λαμπάτο με λίγα watt θα οδηγεί αυτό το έργο τέχνης στο σαλόνι τους. Τελικά είμαστε πολύ ηλίθιοι. Στο χόμπι αυτό και οι εταιρίες δε χάνουν ευκαιρία να αρμεξουν. Και καλά κάνουν, όποιος το αγοράσει αυτό είναι άξιος της μοίρας του. Θα μου πείτε, αν το αγοράσει κάποιος αυτό το ηχείο, δε ξέρει τί του γίνεται από ήχο, οπότε, none the wiser...

A

amoustakas

Τα ηχεία της σειράς Heritage είναι ηχειάρες διαχρονικές που είναι είναι φτιαγμένα να τοποθετούνται κολλητά στον τοίχο και παράλληλα δίνουν τη δυνατότητα λόγω των μεγάλων γούφερ για ακρόαση από 4+ μέτρα για πλάκα. Ιδιανικά ηχεία για σαλόνι.

costas EAR

Δόκτωρ ΔιαXύσιος
Editor
Reaction score
Τα πολιτικής περιβολής τα dynaudio τα ενεργά είναι ωραία ηχεία. Έχουν κι έτοιμα πρισετς στο ντιεσπι, αναλόγως απόστασης από τα ντουβάργια.

Σταφύλια χωρίς κουκούτσι, μαύρα κατά προτίμηση, μοσχατα.

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
Mark Zappa