Kuzma Stabi turntable & Stogi tonearm , stereophile review . . .

Mr Spock

demokratischer - sektor
Reaction score
. . . ή αλλιώς , το σφυρί . . .

. . . The 23¾" W by 15¾" D top shelf of a RoomTune ClampRack was just the right size for the Stabi centered on the top plate of a Bright Star Big Rock. With the Stabi so situated, it took only a few minutes to level it via its three pointed feet, route the tonearm cables, fine-tune the suspension, and adjust the tonearm and cartridge. I located the power supply, which controls the turntable and is connected to it via a long cable terminated in a five-pin DIN plug, on the lowest shelf of the ClampRack. This placement ensured that I'd get some exercise, since each time I wanted to change or flip records I had to bend down to turn the motor off, stand upright to make the change, and bend down again to turn the motor back on. During the course of my evaluation, I figure I went through this routine more than 4500 times. Funny thing, though—my waist size has remained the same . . . .

Sound
I was totally unprepared for the magnitude of difference I heard between my longstanding reference WTT and the newly installed Kuzma. Every sonic parameter that I placed stock in in assessing the performance of the WTT was redefined by the Kuzma. To say I was astounded would be an understatement. By the end of the first day of listening, I also felt the early tinges of guilt setting in, as I knew that the backlog of reviews I had promised JA were going to be even further delayed. I had favorite records with which to reacquaint myself first! . . .

Conclusion
With the ready availability of compelling and important new popular music on LP (footnote 4), a virtual endless supply of excellent, inexpensive used LPs of all genres—and the superb Classic Records, Analog Productions, Mobile Fidelity, Cisco Music, and other reissues—music-lovers convinced of the virtues of vinyl playback have an unprecedented opportunity to indulge their passions and bask in the warmth and honesty of today's cutting-edge analog reproduction.

I know of no better way of taking advantage of this vinyl renaissance than with the Kuzma Stabi/Stogi combo. For three grand and change you get a superior-sounding, no-nonsense turntable willing and able to convey all the dynamics, dynamic range, rhythm and pace, nuance, and finesse which are the stuff of music. And, it's built to last into the next ice age.

If you match and mate the Kuzma combo with a good medium-output MC cartridge and a great-sounding, relatively inexpensive phono preamp such as the Ensemble Phonomaster or Michael Yee Audio PFE-1, you'll hear what's given rise to all the brouhaha.—Guy Lemcoe

Specifications

Kuzma Stabi: suspended subchassis, belt-drive LP turntable. Speeds: 33.33rpm, 45rpm. Plinth: solid oak. Subchassis: Medite. Platter: 9 lbs. mass, precision-machined solid aluminum. Removable dustcover: smoked glass in solid-oak frame. Resonance of subchassis: 4.7Hz. Motors: one, 24-pole synchronous, 110V, 50Hz. Speed adjustment: ±0.5%. Power supply: external, quartz-controlled.
Dimensions: 7¼" H (with dustcover closed) by 201/8" W by 161/8" D. Weight: 46 lbs.
Price: $2200 (1995); $1200 (1999).

Kuzma Stogi tonearm: Construction: main assembly and headshell machined from solid aluminum blocks. Internally damped armtube is made of specially treated aluminum. Internal wiring: van den Hul. Arm mount: Linn-compatible.
Effective mass: 12.5 grams. Length: 229mm. Weight: 850gm.
Price: $950 (1995); $700 (1999).

https://www.stereophile.com/content/kuzma-stabi-turntable-stogi-tonearm

Staff online

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
albie