Naim CD5 XS CD player

Mr Spock

demokratischer - sektor
Reaction score
Naim CD5 XS CD player
Art Dudley | Nov 2, 2017

Description: CD player. Analog outputs: 5-pin DIN, 1 pair RCA. Digital outputs: 1 BNC. Frequency response: 10Hz–20kHz, +0.1/–0.5dB. Maximum output level: 2.1V RMS at 1kHz (fixed). Output impedance: 10 ohms maximum. THD+N: <0.1%, 10Hz–18kHz at full level.
Dimensions: 17" (432mm) W by 2.75" (70mm) H by 11.85" (301mm) D . Weight: 13.2 lbs (6kg).
Serial number of unit reviewed: 418407.
Price: $3050. Approximate number of dealers: 100.
Manufacturer: Naim Audio, Ltd., Southampton Road, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP1 2LN, England, UK. Tel: (44) (0)1722-426-600. Web: www.naim-audio.com

Measurements
. . . This Naim CD player's measured performance is overall acceptable, but its error correction is less tolerant of CD problems than other modern players that I have tested. This surprised me. In a conversation I had 40 years ago with Naim's founder, the late Julian Vereker, who had raced saloon cars in the 1970s, he emphasized that a racer can't win if he doesn't finish. For a CD player, the equivalent of finishing a race is making sure all disc errors, no matter how severe, are corrected

. . .
Conclusions
A confession: I tend not to think highly of one-brand systems. Just as I don't know of a single manufacturer, past or present, whose every product is recommendable, I don't know of a single manufacturer that has applied the same levels of insight and craft to every single product category in domestic audio.

That said, in my esteem, Naim Audio enjoys an ironic combination of extremes: Assuming I could be satisfied with only digital sources—and I could not—if I were forced, at gunpoint, to own such a system, Naim would be near or at the top of my list. Yet at the same time, beginning with my first exposure to their CD3, Naim's CD players have struck me as so musically competent and yet so tonally reticent—by which I mean that when they fall short in the reproduction of tonality, they do so by being a little colorless, not by having an abundance of one color or another—that I find it difficult to imagine the musically accomplished system, regardless of the brands or technologies it might include, in which a Naim CD player would not only thrive but drive the sound to new heights. The lack of froufrou in Naim's CD players only strengthens that point of view, and could be improved only if they offered a CD player without a remote control. (A guy can dream, can't he?)

The Naim CD5 XS only strengthens that conviction: Its sound quality ranges between good and very good—and musically, it is nothing short of superb. It also offers nongaudy, nondated cosmetics, and superb value for the dollar (footnote 1). Very strongly recommended . . .

https://www.stereophile.com/content/naim-cd5-xs-cd-player

Reaction score
Όταν παίζει είναι υπέροχο! Αλλά κάθε τρία με τέσσερα χρόνια χαλάει το transport. Τώρα διαγνώσθηκε από την αντιπροσωπεία και χαλασμένο DAC! Και σταμάτησε να δουλεύει και το remote control. Κατά τ' άλλα έχει άριστο ήχο!

PeterMeni

DIY - "Επαγγελματίας"
Reaction score
Όταν παίζει είναι υπέροχο! Αλλά κάθε τρία με τέσσερα χρόνια χαλάει το transport. Τώρα διαγνώσθηκε από την αντιπροσωπεία και χαλασμένο DAC! Και σταμάτησε να δουλεύει και το remote control. Κατά τ' άλλα έχει άριστο ήχο!
Έτσι όπως μας τα λες...
Η λαμαρίνα του είναι εντάξει ή σκούριασε και αυτή? :)

Staff online

• n_olympios
    Μαντιναδόρος!
  • xfader
    Segregation supporter
  • abcd
    Πρώην Διοικητής ο τροπαιοφόρος

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
albie