Quad S-2 loudspeaker , stereophile review

Mr Spock

demokratischer - sektor
Reaction score
Ken Micallef | Dec 28, 2017 |

One of the better things about bookshelf loudspeakers is that they're innately portable. Though not generally considered the sort of music-reproduction machines you'd bring to a party, a 12-step group, or a Burning Man rave (though you certainly could), high-quality bookshelf speakers are overlooked tools in the eternal work-in-progress of introducing lovers, friends, and family to our beloved lifestyle. So during the first week or three of breaking in the Quad S-2 bookshelf speakers, I thought, Why keep these to myself? It's strict Stereophile policy that all gear be evaluated in the context of the reviewer's reference hi-fi rig(s), but there's no law against sharing the joy . . .

Description: Two-way, rear-ported, stand-mounted loudspeaker. Drive-units: 0.5" by 1.75" (12 by 45mm) True Ribbon tweeter, 4.9" (125mm) woofer with woven Kevlar cone. Crossover frequency: 3kHz. Frequency response: 48Hz–22kHz, ±3dB. Bass extension: 37Hz, –6dB. Sensitivity: 87dB/2.83V/m. Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 4.5 ohms minimum. Peak SPL: 98dB. Recommended amplification: 25–150W.
Dimensions: 13" (330mm) H by 7.1" (180mm) W by 10.25" (260mm) D. Weight: 13.5 lbs (6.1kg).
Finishes: Black Oak, Sapele Mahogany, Piano White or Black.
Serial numbers of units reviewed: QH01548BCF0013 (both).
Price: $999/pair

Conclusions
To hit their stride, I would guess the Quad S-2s require power in the 45–65Wpc range. Careful positioning is necessary for a coherent sweet spot. And if there's junk anywhere upstream in your hi-fi, the S-2 will mercilessly reveal it, warts and all. These are all good things. Even better, the S-2 is fabulously dynamic, well extended, pure and clean in its revealing upper-frequency range, and offers the best low-end bass traction of any stand-mounted speaker I've heard in my MacDougal Street digs. The Quad S-2s provided me with many hours of happy listening, and left me wringing-wet with emotion and, yes, humble gratitude. Absolutely recommended.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/quad-s-2-loudspeaker#i7loFkATtJUxiZv7.99

Staff online

• xfader
    Segregation supporter
  • Zizik
    Chauncey Gardiner * tl;dr *
  • abcd
    Πρώην Διοικητής ο τροπαιοφόρος

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
tassos249