Βάλτε τα ευνοικά σχόλια από ξένους ΕΔΩ...

skaloumbakas

4Haris
Reaction score
Thank you, Greece, for a wonderful Games
- By Dave Barry

Athens: I’m leaving the Olympics and heading home, assuming the plane can lift me. This is a concern because I’ve gained many kilometres of mass from eating Greek food, especially "baklava," which is the Greek word for "carbohydrates". But before I leave, I have something to say to Greece:

Dear Greece, I owe you an apology. Every negative thought I had about you before I got here — every worry, every concern — turned out to be wrong. When I got to Greece, I thought you wouldn’t be ready for the Olympics. But you were, more ready than my country was in 1996 when the Olympics came to Atlanta.

Your facilities were finished, or at least finished enough; the buses ran on time; the phones worked; and an army of ever-cheerful volunteers stood by to deal with what few glitches there were. The Games went beautifully. I still don’t understand rhythmic gymnastics, but that’s not your fault.

When I got to Greece, I was worried about terrorism. But my only moments of terror involved public toilets last cleaned by the Goths, and of course the Athens taxis, which are a menace to all humanity everywhere. (If we keep sending robots to Mars, sooner or later one of them will be run over by an Athens taxi.)

But the Games themselves, and your country, always felt safe. The security, even though there was a lot of it, never felt oppressive. I wish I felt as safe in my own country as I did in yours. When I got to Greece, I was worried about pickpockets.

My company sent me to a scary security-training session that left me convinced that I’d wind up lying in some Athens alley, stripped of money, clothes and key bodily organs. But nobody took anything from me. Instead, people kept giving me things: pins, maps, guidebooks, smiles and — most precious of all — directions.

Whenever I looked lost — which was often — people would stop and ask me, in English, if I needed help. Often they’d walk with me, going out of their way, making sure I was on the right path, sometimes even handing me off to another helpful Greek, passing me across Athens like a human baton in the Clueless American Relay.

When I got to Greece, I was worried about bringing my four-year-old daughter, Sophie. But you opened your arms to her, as you do to all children.

We couldn’t get on a bus without somebody offering Sophie a seat; we couldn’t walk around our neighbourhood without somebody shouting "Sophie!" and running over to say hi to her. At home, I’m a newspaper columnist; in Greece, I’m the guy who accompanies Sophie.

When I got to Greece. I was worried about not understanding the language. But it turned out that the only Greek word I really needed to know was "efharisto," which means (I hope), "Thank you." I said it a hundred times a day.

So, Greece, I apologise. You took on a huge task, and you did it well, and your competence was matched by your warmth. You treated my family like your family; we’ve already decided we’re coming back (after all, Sophie will want to see her friends).

Until then, Greece, from my heart: Efharisto.

By arrangement with the Miami Herald

skaloumbakas

4Haris
Reaction score
Το ίδιο ισχύει γι΄αυτό:

Well Done, Athens!
"Arab News" 29 August 2004

This evening the Athens Olympics will be formally closed in a ceremony which promises to be every bit as spectacular as the opening one 16 days ago. Barring a last minute disaster, the 28th modern Olympiad will have seen 10,500 athletes competing in 37 sports in a massive event which, despite widespread predictions to the contrary, has been a triumph for the Greek organizers. Even in the days before the opening ceremony as the Olympic torch was being carried through Greece, it seemed as if the Games were on the brink of disaster. Hotel workers went on strike for better pay. In the last few weeks before the opening, it appeared highly unlikely that key elements of the infrastructure, including the all-important tramline and road into the city, would be finished on time. Yet against all odds, the Greeks accomplished everything. Few of the crowds who flocked to the ancient capital have had a bad word to say against either the organization or the facilities.

After tonight’s closing ceremony, the work will not be over since the 12 days of the Paralympic Games begin on Sept. 17. Only after Sept. 28 will the Athenians be able to relax and take in their achievement and what it has cost them. The final bill, which has included massive security, could possibly approach $6 billion. This is an immense amount of money. Even allowing for the substantial revenues generated by world television coverage and the money that spectators will have spent during their stay, the Greek taxpayer is likely to have to foot a large bill.

There is also the cost in human terms of the construction. The official death toll among builders working on the various sites is 14, compared to just one death in constructing what was needed for the 2000 Sydney Games. Part of the problem arose because the organizers began building work so late and had to drive construction companies to complete the work on time. This led to frequent corner cutting, especially on safety.

When the final accounting is done, there is also likely to be anger at the extra payments demanded by contractors as incentives to complete projects. Some of these demands were justified because the organizers chopped and changed plans. However, other extra charges may well be viewed as plain extortion at a moment when the Greek Olympic authorities had no other option except to pay up if the Games were to begin on time.

On balance though the Greek have defied their critics. In the original home of the Olympics, they have produced Games which, despite the initial doping scandals involving two of their own top athletes, have been notable for their friendliness and their organization. The host cities of future Olympics will have much that is positive to learn from the Athens experience. They will also have one cautionary lesson which is that if they want to keep the costs from spiraling out of control, facilities must be completed long before the Olympic torch arrives. Nevertheless when the Olympic flame is extinguished tonight, the world should say with one voice: “Well done Athens!”

ΧΣ

skaloumbakas

4Haris
Reaction score
The Big Winner: The Greeks Take the Gold...

By Mark Starr
Newsweek

Sept. 6 issue - As athletes readied for the mass frolic that signals the Olympics' close, Greece was indisputably the biggest winner here. Olympic chief Jacques Rogge has done away with his predecessor's hyperbolic insistence on declaring each Games "the best ever." But by virtually any standard, Greece would have been a contender. There were no major security incidents; the trains, trams and buses ran on time, and the international press, whose every whine can provoke a crisis, was effectively silenced.

American athletes shined throughout (though China's performance presages a new sports dynasty in Beijing in 2008). Not all U.S. stars—notably the former Dream Team and Marion Jones—left happy. Most everyone else, though, leaves Athens with newfound respect for the little country that could. Greece kept its promise to thread the history of both its ancient and first modern Olympiad through these Games of a new millennium. While the Olympics will now move on, Greece forever holds the copyright.

© 2004 Newsweek, Inc.

ΧΣ

skaloumbakas

4Haris
Reaction score
Who can resist bikinis and sand? Not Athens

Sunday August 29 2004 00:00 IST
REUTERS

ATHENS: The fan-pleasing beach volleyball event, which draws huge crowds for the party atmosphere and bikini-clad players, has proven its Olympic mettle again in Athens with sold-out nights and new converts.

The 12-day competition on the Greek coast outside Athens was a major draw, with the 10,000-seat stadium filled to capacity most nights by foot-stomping, chanting fans revelling in the blaring music and fast-paced action on the sand.

A 12-member “dance team”, wearing skimpy orange bikinis by day and shiny silver outfits by night, added to the allure.

“Beach volleyball has been the hit of this Olympics,” said U.S. gold medallist Kerri Walsh after she and partner Misty May won the first women's gold for the United States following a perfect competition in which they did not lose a set.

Some of the women players -- also wearing bikinis -- thought it unnecessary to have scantily-clad cheerleaders for entertainment. But others said it was part of the fun.

“Welcome to beach volleyball,” laughed Walsh.

Sinjin Smith, a pioneer of the game and a former champion, said the sport was popular not just because of the dance team.

“You don't need the dance team for the sport to sell sex because it sells it anyway, without the dance team,” he said.

IN LOVE: “All you have to do is get the people to the event and they fall in love with the sport,” said Smith, now the president of the International Volleyball Federation's Beach Volleyball Council. He noted that the players get more inspired as the flag-waving, chanting crowd gets larger and rowdier.

“It definitely helps the athletes,” he said. “It gives them energy -- it's like a third player.”

The roaring crowd helped two powerhouse beach volleyball nations bring home the goods. The American women won two medals -- gold and bronze -- while the Brazilians finally won their first men's gold, courtesy of Ricardo Alex Santos and Emanuel Rego, as well as silver for the women.

The players said the deep sand helped spark longer -- and more exhausting -- rallies as it limited pure power playing.

Though the gold medallists came into the Games as the top-ranked teams, none of the returning 2000 champions won medals and for the first time since the sport debuted in Atlanta in 1996, Australia were not on the medal podium.

Spaniards Javier Bosma and Pablo Herrera, ranked just 15th, were undefeated in pool play and took home the silver medal.

Patrick Heuscher and Stefan Kobel bagged the bronze for land-locked Switzerland which had two strong men's teams.

ΧΣ

skaloumbakas

4Haris
Reaction score
We were wrong...

Μόλις ήμουν έτοιμος να το βάλω το είδα!!! Το βάζω όμως και γώ "ΟΛΟΓΡΑΦΩΣ" ...

We were wrong...

Greece overcame the world's paranoia to stage a glorious Games
Updated: Sunday August 29, 2004 1:24PM

Dear Athens,

Well, we feel bad. We really owe you an apology. So, sygnomi, as you would say. Sorry.

Sorry the way we acted. We were paranoid and stupid and just flat out wrong. Our bad. If you want, we'll sleep on the couch.

We mocked you, ridiculed you, figured you wouldn't be ready. We envisioned you as a bunch of lazy, swarthy guys in wife-beater T-shirts chugging ouzo instead of finishing the baseball dugouts. We were sure steeplechasers would have to jump over drying cement, pole vaulters over tractors, divers into 3 feet of water.

We were wrong. It was all done and it was beautiful. OK, so the swimming stadium never got a roof. Big freaking deal.

Imagine: having to swim in an outdoor pool. Let's all sue. Besides, you know what? It was more fun that way. Michael Phelps was out there so much he ended up with raccoon eyes from his goggles. He looked like a snowboarder. "Cool!" he said.

We predicted women madly weaving olive wreaths next to the podiums as the national anthems started up. We foresaw painters sprinting along painting stripes just yards ahead of 400-meter runners. We figured beams would be falling on people's heads.

Who knew Wrigley Field would be a lot more dangerous?

We were sure every street corner would have three or four terrorists, just kind of killing time, looking for somebody to kidnap. Some bozo said, "The only place worse to hold an Olympics would be Baghdad." Please. I guarantee you, we felt a helluva lot safer these three weeks in Athens than we do in L.A. Or Detroit. Or the Republican National Convention.

We insisted you spend 1.2 billion euros on security. You had to put up blimps and cameras all over the city. You couldn't throw a bucket of grapes anywhere and not hit a soldier with a rifle. And nothing happened. Zero. The only incident was when our Secretary of State said he was coming to visit. In other words, if Colin Powell would've just been happy with his remote, you wouldn't have had a single problem.

Why you had to pay for our paranoia, I'll never know. It's the world's problem, the world should have to pay for it. What small country is going to be able to afford to host the Olympics anymore with these insane security demands? From now on, if a country wants to send a team to the Games, it pays its share of security, based on its share of the gross world product. In other words, it's our war, we should have to pay for it.

And our ignorance cost you more than just the billion or so Euros. Our Edvard Munch screams leading up to these games kept millions of people away. Corporations bailed on you. Fans chickened out. I know burly journalists who were too scared to come.

Sygnomi. Really. You did such a beautiful job on all the venues, arenas and stadiums and yet most of them were so empty you would've thought you'd stumbled upon a goiter seminar. At one basketball game, we counted: There were 307 people. One women's soccer game involving the U.S. started with fewer than 50 people. I had a friend call one night and say, "You better get over to gymnastics, quick. There's only 15,000 seats left."

The shopkeepers told us, "We've never seen it so dead in August." Hotels came down on their prices by three-quarters. Shirt stores lost their shirts.

It's too bad. It was a glorious Olympics. It really was. The opening ceremonies were fabulous. The nightlife was amazing.

Even the stray dogs and cats couldn't have been friendlier. I got lost once and had to hitchhike out of nowhere, and a motorcyclist not only picked me up but drove for miles until he found me a cab. So, efharisto, as you say. Thanks.

Somebody did a poll and found that 97 percent of fans were "satisfied" with safety and security, 95 percent appreciated the job the volunteers did and 98 percent had a favorable impression of Greece. The other two percent were Paul Hamm's family.

And what did you get for all your trouble? Nothing but heartache. With 9,000-plus Greeks about to go delirious, our men's volleyball team handed you a giant buzzkill --- coming back from eight points down to win the fourth set and then the fifth to advance to the semifinals. The only really good game our men's basketball team played the whole time was against Greece.

It was Greek Tragedy Fortnight on TBS. It started even before the Games with your heartbroken judoka jumping from a balcony, followed two days later by her distraught boyfriend. Your two best sprinters turned in their credentials to end a doping/conspiracy/motorcycle wreck soap opera that tore the nation up. One of your favorite weightlifters had to give up a medal for a failed drug test, then wept in front of the world protesting his innocence.

And now you're stuck with about $8.5 billion in debt, a bunch of huge, expensive stadiums you'll never use (Hey, kids, who's ready to synchronized dive?!) and a whole lot of "Get Your Butt to Team Handball!" shorts nobody was around to buy. Other than that, Mrs. Kennedy, how did you enjoy Dallas?

So, really, we're sorry. If it makes you feel any better, we all feel a lot more Greek now. We're all coming back to the States telling the wife, "OK, you be Athena and I'll be Zeus!", demanding our favorite restaurants reserve us a table about 1 a.m. under the moon, right near a 2,500 year-old ruin. We keep spitting in people's hair for good luck, crushing plates for no reason and hollering "opa!" in the shower.

No idea how to make this right for you, except this: We vow, here and now, we'll never make you host us again.

See you in Baghdad, 2016.

skaloumbakas

4Haris
Reaction score
Για να κάνω ενα resumee:

Athens bids farewell to the Games
Sunday, August 29, 2004 Posted: 6:02 PM EDT (2202 GMT)
(εδώ ψηφίστε !!!)

Thank you, Greece, for a wonderful Games
- By Dave Barry

Well Done, Athens!
"Arab News" 29 August 2004

By Mark Starr
Newsweek

Sunday August 29 2004 00:00 IST
REUTERS

και τα 2 καλύτερα...

We were wrong...
Greece overcame the world's paranoia to stage a glorious Games
Updated: Sunday August 29, 2004 1:24PM

και: ...
(το αντιγράφω γιατί δεν έχω το link - αν κάποιος το έχει, ας το βάλει εδώ)

To the People of Greece: We Apologize
By ANN KILLION
San Jose Mercury News
Posted on Sat, Aug. 21, 2004

ATHENS - The Greeks could sue for defamation of character. They could demand an apology from the world. Instead they just shrug and order another frappe. Their Olympics are going beautifully. Just like they expected. After all, they invented this business.

For years, we heard how miserable these Olympics would be, how dangerous, how choked with traffic, how polluted, how unfinished. After just a couple of days, some observers turned in an instant thumbs-down on the Games. No atmosphere. No crowds. The horror ? gymnastics wasn't even sold out!

Such rips are ridiculous. For one thing, you can't judge the Olympics until they start. And, in reality, the Athens Games didn't start until Friday, when track and field got under way.

Olympic atmosphere comes from 160,000 people streaming into the park every day. And that can only happen when track starts. Until then, the Olympic park seems deserted even with 30,000 people inside it.

Saturday night, the upper bowl of Olympic Stadium was filled with rippling blue and white Greek flags and fans cheering for runners and discus throwers. The roar of the crowd rose into the Athens night. You couldn't convince anyone there that these Games have no atmosphere.

So far these Games get a huge thumbs-up from this corner. And not just because I set my personal bar so low - my goal was to come home alive. I swore I wouldn't whine about slow buses or hot weather.

I'm still alive and feeling sheepish about all my worries. The heightened security is evident but not oppressive. The fear-mongering has dissolved into a happy Olympic atmosphere where Canadian fans wander around in togas and olive wreaths drinking Mythos beer. The Games aren't over, but so far, Athens feels very safe.

And there hasn't been much to whine about. The buses run on time. The taxis are cheap. The phones work. Eventhe weather has cooperated, with temperature mostly in the 90s during the days, but not the 100-plus heat that had been advertised.

Are they as great as the Sydney Summer Olympics, which drew rave reviews? So far, they're not far behind (and gymnastics wasn't sold out there either ? not everyone loves the little pixies as much as Americans).

The scene at Darling Harbor was terrific - but the crowded cafes of the Plaka, in the shadow of the Acropolis, are almost as lively.

Are these Games as great as Barcelona, which I didn't attend but many veteran Olympic writers say is their favorite? They're not far behind ? and they're beating Barcelona in ticket sales.

And how do they compare to Atlanta? There is no comparison. The United States hosted the worst Summer Olympics of the modern mega-Games era. Everything people feared would happen here actually did happen in Atlanta: There was a bombing, the buses didn't run on time, the computer system didn't function, the crowds were suffocating and the weather was oppressive. Greece, the smallest country to host an Olympics in 52 years and one of the poorest countries in the European Union, is outperforming the world's super power.

On Saturday, Athens was abuzz. The efficient new metro system was packed with fans heading to every venue.

Inside the Olympic park every event except trampoline was sold out (and you're not going to hold it against the Athenians if they don't support trampoline, are you?).

On Friday, 244,144 fans went to 47 events. Ticket sales have reached 3.2 million ? close to the target of 3.4 million ? and they're not done yet. The fact that most Athenians were on vacation until last week is part of the Games' new energy.

Not only were the Greeks underestimated, their capital city has been mistreated. For those of us who haven't been here before, Athens is a surprising delight.

Yes, it's crowded and poorly laid out. But it has dazzling historic sites around almost every corner, restaurants and bars that stay open until almost dawn, and wonderful, gracious hosts.

It also has a terrific coastline along the Saronic Gulf. A new tram runs along the water, and Saturday it carried both Olympic spectators and sunbathers. The beaches were packed and Athenians bobbed in the sparkling water.

The first eight days have been a success. I told my cabdriver how impressed I was. "Of course," he said and shrugged. What did you expect from the folks who came up with idea in the first place?

skaloumbakas

4Haris
Reaction score
Greece news

Athens bids Games farewell...
Merco Press Mon Aug 30 12:35:00 UTC+0300 2004

Olympics - Athens Proves To Be Worthy Host Despite...
Antara Mon Aug 30 12:15:00 UTC+0300 2004

'Dear Greek friends, you have won!'...
Globe and Mail Mon Aug 30 12:11:00 UTC+0300 2004

Athens gives world athletes a fabulous send-off party...
Afternoon Despatch and Courier Mon Aug 30 11:55:00 UTC+0300 2004

Athens Games win gold medal...
USA Today Mon Aug 30 11:54:00 UTC+0300 2004

Rebirth in Greece...
Winnipeg Sun Mon Aug 30 11:52:00 UTC+0300 2004

Athens party finally over...
iafrica.com Mon Aug 30 11:34:00 UTC+0300 2004

Forgive us Greece, you made it work...
National Post sub Mon Aug 30 11:03:00 UTC+0300 2004

High praise for Greece...
The Star sub Mon Aug 30 11:02:00 UTC+0300 2004

Athens Throws a Party to Celebrate Games...
AP via New York Post Mon Aug 30 11:01:00 UTC+0300 2004

Full marks to Athens games...
BBC Mon Aug 30 10:49:00 UTC+0300 2004

Staff online

• Zizik
    Chauncey Gardiner * tl;dr *

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
daemon76