Reaction score
Release Date: December 16, 2022

The four "Avatar" sequels will be filmed simultaneously. The journey continues December 16 2022, 2024, 2026 and 2028. "Avatar" 2, 3, 4 and 5 will be produced by James Cameron and Jon Landau through their Lightstorm Entertainment.

Cast: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Lang, Sigourney Weaver, Joel David, Oona Chaplin

Studio: 20th Century Fox, Lightstorm Entertainment
Director: James Cameron
Screenwriter: Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Adventure

Official Website: http://www.avatarmovie.com / https://www.facebook.com/Avatar

Last edited by a moderator:

abcd

Πρώην Διοικητής ο τροπαιοφόρος
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Απάντηση: Avatar 2 (2014)

...ή θα έχουν βγει οι μακρόστενοι βιντεοπροβολείς!:103:

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
James Cameron gives Avatar sequels update

It's crazy to think that Avatar opened in theaters more than three years ago, on December 18, 2009, but here we are. While it's been a while since we heard from James Cameron on Avatar 2 and Avatar 3, Play Goes Strong (via Bleeding Cool) caught up with the filmmaker not long ago and asked him for a status update.

"I'm working on 'Avatar 2' and 'Avatar 3.' I was talking the other day with Peter Jackson and said, 'You had it easy dude. You had the books when you did the second and third 'Lord of the Rings.' I have to create my own books in my head and extract a script from it. I'm deep into it and I'm living in Pandora right now. There is that start up torque where you feel it's coming to you. Then you build up momentum. That's when it gets fun. The characters talk and it's writing itself. I'm almost there right now. It's building fast," said Cameron.

He's currently working on the films at his new property in New Zealand. He added that "when you live in a special world like Pandora, you have to live in that world."

The first film is the biggest blockbuster of all-time, earning $2.782 billion at the worldwide box office, so does he feel pressure? "Pressure, no. It's a little daunting because sequels are always tricky. You have to be surprising and stay ahead of audience anticipation. At the same time, you have to massage their feet with things that they know and love about the first film. I've walked that line in the past, so I'm not too worried about it. At the same time, I definitely have to deliver the goods."

Cameron also couldn't give a new release date for the first sequel, saying that it will be determined when he can get the script to Twentieth Century Fox Film. Avatar 2 was originally targeted for a December, 2014 release and Avatar 3 for December, 2015.

Last edited:

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
Avatar sequels to feature underwater performance capture

Oscar-winning producer Jon Landau revealed (via The Hollywood Reporter) during his keynote at the NAB that the production of Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 will include underwater performance capture.

“We have kept a team of digital artists on from Avatar in order to test how we can create performance capture underwater,” he said. “We could simulate water [in computer graphics], but we can't simulate the actor's experience, so we are going to capture performance in a tank.”

He added that they "are looking at [techniques including] what we did before with reflective markers" and that an important task is "how we record reference photography so that as we are going through the editorial process and the postproduction workflow, we can see what the actors did and make sure that the final performance up on screen represents that.”

Landau said that the two films will "wrap up the story arc of our two main characters."

Landau's keynote is available via streaming using the link below:

http://bcove.me/9xe5ti02

Last edited:

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
Zoe Saldana confirms 2014 shoot for Avatar sequels

It has long been rumored that the upcoming sequels for James Cameron's Avatar would be filmed consecutively, much like The Lord of the Rings and The Matrix sequels. Speaking on "The Jonathan Ross Show" (via Digital Spy) actress Zoe Saldana confirmed these plans along with a potential start date.

"I think that they're doing a part two and a part three and they're probably going to shoot it at the same time...If we just do two and then wait, I'll probably be 45 or 50 by the time we get to part three. It takes a long time, it's a very hard process."

Previous reports on the sequels had the film targeting a late 2013 production start but Saldana confirmed an early 2014 start date for the filming.

No release date has been set for either film, but Avatar 2 was originally targeted for a December, 2014 release and Avatar 3 for December, 2015.

Last edited:

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
Zoe Saldana explains the wait for Avatar sequels

Zoe Saldana is in a very unique position. She's at the front of two of the biggest science fiction franchises (Avatar, Star Trek) and hopes to repeat that success with next year's Guardians of the Galaxy. With her second Star Trek film being released this summer and production on "Guardians" beginning soon, it brings up the question once again, where are the Avatar sequels? Speaking with MTV, the actress says that she's been in touch with director James Cameron some about the scripts and he's finishing them up now.

"I know that he's sort of been removing himself from things that might distract him so that he can focus on doing the final tweaks on the scripts. He did share that he's in a very interesting and fragile place, because the story is dictating itself."

"You walk a fine line when you're the creator of the story you're going to tell, of the manipulation that you may have unconsciously of the story and the characters versus allowing the story to unfold it, because you did create such a monumental and solid platform that they're just living and breathing organisms and they're the ones that need to make their own decisions. I'm geek talking right now, but that's how intense it affects me and how I feel about amazing storytellers like James Cameron, like J.J. Abrams. They create things that are real out of unimaginable scenarios, and that is beautiful to me."

Last edited:

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
James Cameron hires Terminator TV series creator to work on Avatar 2 script

There have been few developments on the sequels to James Cameron's Avatar, but this latest one indicates things are still moving along at a steady pace. According to The Wrap, James Cameron has hired "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" creator Josh Friedman to do some rewrite work on the screenplay for the film.

Friedman is no stranger to science fiction, having worked on both the "Termiantor" spin-off series and Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds in 2005.

Last edited:

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
James Cameron and 20th Century Fox expand Avatar universe to three sequels!

Marking a significant expansion of his already ambitious plans for the much-anticipated Avatar sequels, Academy Award-winning filmmaker James Cameron announced today that the films have grown in number from two to three.

Additionally, to help bring his growing Avatar universe to life and to expedite the process, Cameron has hired screenwriters Josh Friedman (War of the Worlds), Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planets of the Apes), and Shane Salerno (Savages, Salinger) to collaborate with him on the screenplays for the three films.

The three pictures will be filmed simultaneously with production beginning next year. The release of the first sequel will be in December 2016, with the second to follow in December 2017, and the third a year later. Avatar 2, 3, and 4 will be produced by Cameron and Jon Landau through their Lightstorm Entertainment banner. Like the original film, Lightstorm will work with Joe Letteri and his team at WETA Digital to realize the worlds of the sequels.

Commented Cameron: "Building upon the world we created with Avatar has been a rare and incredibly rewarding experience. In writing the new films, I've come to realize that Avatar's world, story and characters have become even richer than I anticipated, and it became apparent that two films would not be enough to capture everything I wanted to put on screen. And to help me continue to expand this universe, I'm pleased to bring aboard Amanda, Rick, Shane and Josh -- all writers I've long admired -* to join me in completing the films screenplays."

Commented 20th Century Fox chairman and CEO, Jim Gianopulos (Ελληνάρα μυρίστηκες χρήμα και όρμισες...): "We at the studio have no higher priority, and can feel no greater joy, than enabling Jim to continue and expand his vision of the world of Avatar.' The growing breadth and scale of Jim Cameron's plans for his magnificent fantasy worlds continue to amaze us all."

Avatar is the highest-grossing film of all time, and is also the top-selling Blu-ray disc of all time. The film won Golden Globe awards for Best Motion Picture and Best Director; and was nominated for nine Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director, and won Oscars for art direction, visual effects and cinematography.

Avatar was written by Cameron from an idea he nurtured for over a decade, while working on the technology necessary to realize its wholly imagined world. Working with WETA Digital, Cameron created a fully immersive 3D cinematic experience of a new kind, where revolutionary technology that was invented to make the film disappeared into the emotion of the characters and the epic nature of the story.

The three Avatar sequels will mark Cameron’s latest collaborations with 20th Century Fox, a relationship that spans nearly 30 years and marks one of the most successful filmmaker-studio alliances in motion picture history. Cameron and Fox first joined forces in 1985 for Aliens, which became a sci-fi classic. Next came The Abyss, which revolutionized visual effects technology; then came the blockbuster, True Lies. In 1996, Fox greenlighted Cameron's Titanic, which became the most successful film in history, and won a record-breaking eleven Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

Last edited:

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
Stephen Lang to return for all three Avatar sequels!

Even though it didn't look like we would see him again after 2009's Avatar, Twentieth Century Fox has confirmed that actor Stephen Lang will retun as Colonel Miles Quaritch in their three upcoming Avatar sequels.

"Steven was so memorable in the first film, we're privileged to have him back," director James Cameron said in a statement. "I'm not going to say exactly HOW we're bringing him back, but it's a science fiction story, after all. His character will evolve into really unexpected places across the arc of our new three-film saga. I really look forward to working with such a gifted actor, who's also become a good friend."

Last edited:

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
James Cameron talks Avatar sequels, compares them to The Godfather

20th Century Fox and Lightstorm Entertainment announced yesterday that James Cameron will shoot all three of his upcoming Avatar sequels in New Zealand, and now in an interview with The Associated Press, Cameron elaborated on some details regarding the films.

"It's going to be a lot of new imagery and a lot of new environments and creatures across Pandora. We're blowing it out all over the place. At first I thought I was going to take it onto other worlds as well, in the same solar system, but it turned out not to be necessary. I mean the Pandora that we have imagined will be a fantasy land that is going to occupy people for decades to come, the way I see it."

Cameron also commented on the often reported fact that second film will deal with the underwater life on Pandora, saying:

"There's a fair bit of underwater stuff. It's been inaccurately said that the second film takes place underwater. That's not true. There are underwater scenes and surface-water scenes having to do with indigenous ocean cultures that are distributed across the three films."

While the first film in the series focused mostly on Sam Worthington's Jake Sully, Cameron says the sequels will expand their focus to Jake's "family" on Pandora.

"It was very Jake-centric. His story seen through his eyes. We spread it around quite a bit more as we go forward. It's really the story of his family, the family that he creates on Pandora. His extended family. So think of it as a family saga like 'The Godfather.'"

Last edited:

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana set to return for three Avatar sequels

James Cameron has set Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana to reprise their Avatar roles in the three sequels scheduled to begin production later this year, the Oscar-winning filmmaker announced today.

Commented James Cameron: "Jake Sully is rare combination of passion, strength, street smarts and soul, which requires a lot from an actor. Sam brought to the role a combination of sensitivity, vulnerability and strength. Zoe captured every aspect of the character I envisioned, bringing to Neytiri a mix of delicacy, fierceness and incredible physicality. I am beyond pleased they'll be returning with us to Pandora."

Last year, Cameron announced that not only is he moving forward with the most anticipated films of the next decade, but that the sequels had grown in number from two films to three.

Additionally, to help bring his expanding universe to life, Cameron hired screenwriters Josh Friedman (War of the Worlds), Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) and Shane Salerno (Savages, Salinger) to collaborate with him on the screenplays for the three films.

The as yet untitled Avatar sequels will be filmed back-to-back. The release of the first follow-up will be in December 2016, with the second to follow in December 2017, and the third a year later.

Cameron and Jon Landau through Lightstorm Entertainment will produce Avatar 2, 3, and 4 for Twentieth Century Fox.

The three Avatar sequels will mark Cameron's latest collaborations with Twentieth Century Fox, a relationship that spans 27 years and marks one of the most successful filmmaker-studio alliances in motion picture history. Cameron and Fox first joined forces in 1985 for Aliens, which became a sci-fi classic. Next came The Abyss, which revolutionized visual effects technology; and True Lies, a blockbuster starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. In 1996, Fox green lighted Cameron's Titanic, which became the most successful film in history, and won a record-breaking eleven Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

Last edited:

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
Zoe Saldana talks Avatar sequels

Recently confirmed to be taking not two but three trips back to Pandora, Zoe Saldana says that the stories for the upcoming Avatar sequels made her and series creator James Cameron very emotional, though she's looking forward to the return.

"I went down to the studio that they've been setting up for the past three years. It was wonderful," Saldana told MTV. "Jim took us and gave us a tour of all the reference pictures, telling us the stories. I haven't been able to read the scripts. They're still working on them. We kind of get choked up. [Cameron] gets emotional telling us about the story. I get emotional hearing about it, so I'm looking forward to it."

Saldana also mentioned that she wasn't surprised about her character Neytiri returning for the film's sequels saying she's known for some time.

"I knew. I knew for a while. Then it was confirmed last fall when they approached us, already telling us these are the dates, lock yourself, we would like you to start getting ready around this time."

Last edited:

Zizik

Chauncey Gardiner * tl;dr *
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Σνιφ, κι εγώ συγκινήθηκα.

Μα πιό πολύ έκλαψα όταν έμαθα ότι τα sequels θα είναι τρία. Μήπως να το κάνουν serial; :)

• Haha
Reactions: MAD

loyis7

Movies
Reaction score
Σνιφ, κι εγώ συγκινήθηκα.

Μα πιό πολύ έκλαψα όταν έμαθα ότι τα sequels θα είναι τρία. Μήπως να το κάνουν serial; :)

Αφού ο κόσμος θα πάει να τα δει μωρέ. Να μην τα κάνουν...?
Και βάζω στοίχημα πως και εσύ θα πας να τα δεις όλα στα κρυφά. Incognito και έτσι...! :D

Staff online

• Zizik
    Chauncey Gardiner * tl;dr *
  • abcd
    Πρώην Διοικητής ο τροπαιοφόρος

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
Nardo