Building a Listening Room

Mr Spock

demokratischer - sektor
Reaction score
Size and Dimensional Ratio

The first step in any room design is choosing the room’s size and dimensional ratios—the ratio of the length to the width to the height. This ratio has a very large effect on the room’s sound, particularly in the bass. Good room ratios spread out the room’s resonant modes more evenly, resulting in smoother and more linear bottom octaves. Explaining the importance of room ratios is beyond the scope of this article (The Complete Guide to High-End Audio’s chapter on room acoustics breaks it down), but know that the length-to-width-to-height ratio is the crucial starting point.

Back at the raw-framed listening room, I conducted an experiment to understand the effect of the stud dampers. I hit an undamped stud with a hammer and listened to the ring. Then I repeated the hammer strikes after installing the stud damper. The undamped stud rang for a long time; the damped stud produced a dull and short-lived thud. The difference was so dramatic that I recorded the experiment on my phone. Many weeks later, just before the drywall went up, I applied strips of ASC WallDamp viscoelastic material on the stud edges that face the house side of the wall for additional wall damping

AC Power
The AC power to a listening room has a greater effect on sound quality than one would expect. I followed the guidance of Shunyata Research founder Caelin Gabriel in specifying my room’s power. Although one can spend an enormous sum on a custom AC-power system, I employed a few simple and inexpensive techniques that Caelin Gabriel has found to be effective. I had a good head start on the AC power; my home’s power is supplied from its own transformer at the street. I have rooftop photovoltaic solar panels but have no idea whether this confers any sound-quality benefits.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/building-a-listening-room/

Μέλη online

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
geo kok