Genesis G-928 Subwoofer

Κώστας Φ.

Truth hurts. Here's a teddy bear.
Reaction score

Price: $2600 in all finishes

"...At 17" by 16.5" by 15.75", the G-928s aren't huge. They're actually fairly friendly domestically though at once incredibly solid. At 84.5 lbs each, they're dense and heavy. They're the first subwoofers I recall being completely inert while playing. Place your hand on them while playing and they're almost completely free of vibration. The bulk of what you do feel will be what is being transmitted from the floor back into the sub. The extremely solid enclosure clad of 1-inch MDF is partially responsible but so is the driver configuration. The two opposing 12-inch ribbed aluminum woofers powered by a single 500-watt servo controlled amplifier work in bipolar fashion and see to it that all mechanical forces are countered by an equal and opposite reaction. This is one subwoofer that won't go walking across your floor. Genesis specifies a frequency response of 20Hz to 120Hz with a tolerance of +/-1dB. Most speaker and subwoofer manufactures specify a tolerance of +/-3dB. Such specifications mean that a subwoofer could be reproducing 20Hz but it could be down 6dB from reference at that point. Not only is the Genesis extremely solid down to 20Hz, it has lots of usable output down to 16Hz.

The notion of a servo-controlled subwoofer seems to be controversial. Basically, the system involves the use of an accelerometer placed near the voice coil of the driver. It collects and reports back to the servo controller what exactly the woofer is doing. The servo compares the accelerometer data to the original signal and looks for discrepancies. If any are found, the servo sends a correction signal to the amplifier to null the discrepancies. In theory there would seem to be a time lag involved and some have suggested that servo-controlled subwoofers sound slow and sluggish on principle. I suspect such criticisms are levied by those without the knowledge to properly integrate a subwoofer - or by manufacturers without the wherewithal to manufacture a proper servo. I've been sub-woofing for 20 years and never experienced anything of the sort.

Conclusion

...I'm not familiar enough with the offerings of other companies to know exactly how the G-928 stacks up. I only know this: in terms of speed, power, detail and pitch definition, the G-928 is the best overall subwoofer I've used and at its price, looks like a bargain to me. I'll also admit that my own opinion is bolstered just a bit by the fact that the G-928 has been reviewed by just about every home theater publication extant and received nothing but raves and highest ratings including from reviewers who know music. Still, you don't pronounce the first piece you try the best there is even if you have the sneaking suspicion that it might be.

To get the very best from the G-928 subwoofer (or any other sub for that matter), an active outboard crossover is just about mandatory. As I've discovered, the $3,100 Bryston 10B (full review to come) fits the bill extraordinarily well and won't be rendered obsolete regardless of which speakers you buy in the future. The G-928/10B combo lists for $5,700 and will do what the SS2 did for any speakers (the Thiel sub is only recommended for Thiel speakers unless you add the $4,000 SmartSub Integrator.) Remember, it's not just about cleaner and more powerful bass. It's about taking the speakers you already have to another level too. When combined with the excellent Usher Be-718 or Acoustic Zen Adagio Jr., you're talking about systems retailing for between $8,995 and $9,700 respectively. They'll go head-to-head against any full-range $10,000 speaker I know of and most likely walk away the winner by most criteria.

If you're contemplating the purchase of a top-notch subwoofer but the price of an active crossover looks a little steep just now, re-read the beginning of the listening impressions of this review. Particularly with smaller speakers such as the Adagio Jr.s, I got wicked good performance with the G-928 all by itself. Wicked good. Even had I not experienced the G-928 with the Bryston B10, I still would have purchased it.

Oh, yeah, I guess I almost forgot to mention it: the G-928 ain't going nowhere. It's far too good and has brought way too much enjoyment to my system to even consider letting it out of my listening room. The Genesis Advanced Technologies G-928 subwoofer is a great subwoofer and fantastic performer."

Full Review: 6moons.com

Nick Arvanitakis

Audio Pro
Administrator
Reaction score
Απάντηση: Genesis G-928 Subwoofer

Genesis με 2600?
Απιστευτο!!!!

Τα 1.1 τι τα εβαλες ?για να μ εκνευρισεις?

Κώστας Φ.

Truth hurts. Here's a teddy bear.
Reaction score
Re: Απάντηση: Genesis G-928 Subwoofer

Τα 1.1 τι τα εβαλες ?για να μ εκνευρισεις?
Για μπούγιο. :happy_9:

Έλεγα να πάρω ένα για το γραφείο αλλά δεν μου άρεσε το φινίρισμα και τελικά πήρα κάτι μικρά Logitech. :happy_8:

Staff online

• abcd
    Πρώην Διοικητής ο τροπαιοφόρος
  • xfader
    Segregation supporter

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
MORPH