Manzanita 12'' - Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Κώστας Φ.

Truth hurts. Here's a teddy bear.
Reaction score

Mόλις είδα πως ανέβασαν thread με περισσότερες πληροφορίες και οδηγό κατασκευής για το Manzanita, το Open Baffle που σας έλεγα εδώ (post #21). Το tweeter ήταν Vifa στην έκθεση αλλά το αρχικό σχέδιο παίζει με Seas? Who knows. Στην αρχή είχε πει Vifa πάντως.

To build each speaker you will need:
  • Peerless SLS 830669 - 12" Woofer
  • Seas 27TDFC tweeter
  • Sledgehammer 12mH 15 gauge inductor
  • 0.8 mH aircore inductor
  • 12uF film capacitor
  • 25 ohm 5W resistor
  • Binding posts
  • 3/4 wood for baffle, base and side wings. MDF or plywood, chipboard, etc.

Total project parts cost is under $150 US per side, excluding wood. Or less than $300 for the pair. The drivers and parts are easy to find in the US, and should be as easy to find in Europe. As long as you keep the crossover values the same, feel free to substitute your favorite brands. Obviously, you will use the same drivers!

There may be plenty of forum denizens who will poke holes in this design without ever building it. No worries, that’s part of the DIY sport. Those who do build it will enjoy it, holes or not.

Why build this speaker? A few reasons:
  1. It sounds good.
  2. It’s simple and easy to build.
  3. It plays well in an average size living room.
  4. It does not cost arm and a leg.
  5. Works well with most types of music.
  6. Very wide and deep soundstage.
  7. Easy to listen to – low fatigue.
  8. You’ve always wanted to try an open baffle design.

Why NOT build this speaker?
  1. Too simple. You need more of a challenge.
  2. Too cheap, you need to impress your friends.
  3. You like a hot midrange.
  4. You need ultimate finesse and flattest response.
  5. Your listening room is huge – or tiny.
  6. Your amp is a 2 watt SET-DHT job.
  7. You would rather go to the beach. (I understand…)

Διαβάστε περισσότερα εδώ.

Κώστας Φ.

Reaction score
Απάντηση: Manzanita 12'' - Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

To λένε και στο αρχικό thread νομίζω. Η επιλογή του 12'' δεν είναι και η καλύτερη. Σε αυτό δεν αναφέρεσαι Μιχάλη?

Κώστας Φ.

Reaction score

Oρίστε και το ηχείο που έπαιξε στην έκθεση...

Attachments

Reaction score
Re: Απάντηση: Manzanita 12'' - Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

To λένε και στο αρχικό thread νομίζω. Η επιλογή του 12'' δεν είναι και η καλύτερη. Σε αυτό δεν αναφέρεσαι Μιχάλη?

Σε αυτο.
Και το SEAS το βαζει αντι του VIFA γιατι δουλευεται λιγο χαμηλωτερα.
ΔΕν καταλαβαινω μερικες φορες.
Ή ξερουν καποιοι κατι παραπανω ή μας δουλευουν.

Κώστας Φ.

Reaction score

Είχαν κι άλλοι την ίδια απορία στο diyaudio για τις μεσαίες.
Απ'ότι διαβάζω, όσοι το άκουσαν είπαν πως οι μεσαίες ήταν καλές.. Ο σχεδιαστής τους (ο τύπος στη φώτο) είχε αγωνία/περιέργεια προφανώς για το συγκεκριμένο ζήτημα και τους ρώταγε ο ίδιος να του πουν πως τους φάνηκαν οι μεσαίες.
Τρέχα γύρευε...

Αν δε βαρίεσαι κοίτα το thread στο link που έδωσα να δεις τη σχετική συζήτηση

Κώστας Φ.

Reaction score

Άλλη μία αναφορά στο Manzanita, αυτή τη φορά στο enjoythemusic.com (από άλλη έκθεση)...

The John Busch Room

John Busch is a true speaker guru who has built speakers for over 45 years. A very sharp & knowledgeable individual, over the last year it has become my pleasure and privilege to become his friend and to benefit from his advice. Since he and I both like vintage speakers, we always have a lot to talk about! John is a veritable encyclopedia on every version of almost every vintage driver out there! John was kind enough to spend a couple of hours with me this time, giving me advice on how to crossover my Altec VOTT (voice of theater) system, and on some open baffle projects I plan on starting. Playing true to the stereotype of the casual genius, John "whipped" together an open baffle system consisting of a Peerless subwoofer driver and a SEAS dome tweeter, with a "simple" 4 element passive crossover that sounded so good that I saw a lot of people taking notes on exactly how he did it! True to form, he was just giving the design away. While this was one of the few low efficiency systems of the meet (around 84dB), it played just fine with a 15-watt digital amplifier, and the most noticeable feature about it was the seamlessness integration of the two drivers. It had solid bass and very clean highs. In my humble opinion, many commercial speaker companies would do well to consult with John on crossover design! I would also like to thank John for letting me display one of my own single driver systems (a D'Charles Audio 5.5 driver in a PAWO horn) in his room.

Staff online

• Zizik
    Chauncey Gardiner * tl;dr *

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
mdim051