Linkwitz 2015

m1ts0s

News poster
Editor
Reaction score
"In 2015 I plan to extend the LX speaker family from the analog LX521 and the digital LXmini by adding three new members: LXstudio, LX521.3 and LX521.4. This will provide an upgrade path for LXmini builders to LX521 levels and be a revisit of the LX521 using DSP for equalization and crossovers.

For the LXstudio I add to the LXmini the open-baffle woofers of the LX521 and use the miniDSP 4x10Hd for xo/eq. A prototype is already running and impresses me with its fast dynamics, 3D rendering and expected extension of bass. The 4-piece system provides greater flexibility in room placement than the LX521.

For the LX521.3 and LX521.4 systems I plan to start out from acoustic measurements again, expecting more options in driver equalization from a DSP unit than was practical with the ASP. The LX521.3 will be a 3-way active system including the existing passive crossover, while the LX521.4 will be a 4-way active system and require an additional pair of power amplifiers.

Those are my plans. Let's hear what materializes.

Spread the word to your friends:
Highly realistic 3D sound reproduction from stereo is also possible in their rooms and is within their reach!
Spread the fun!"

http://www.linkwitzlab.com

m1ts0s

News poster
Editor
Reaction score

LXmini
- A 2-way loudspeaker that can be built for around $1000 including miniDSP 2x4 equalizer/crossover and 4 power amplifiers in the 50 W to 200 W range. The speaker has a unique polar pattern, starting out as omni at low frequencies from the infinite transmission line woofer, going through a cardioid region around the 800 Hz crossover to an unbaffled, full range driver with dipolar behavior. Due to the low crossover frequency and acoustically close proximity of drivers the polar pattern is identical in vertical and horizontal directions, like in a coaxial design, but it has much wider dispersion at higher frequencies. The frequency range extends from 45 Hz to 20 kHz with 12 dB/octave roll-off at the low end.
LXmini Construction Plans: $105

LXstudio - A 3-way loudspeaker that combines the LXmini with the dipole woofers of the LX521. It requires addition of two 200 W or four 50 W power amplifiers and a miniDSP 4x10HD unit to form a system that covers the 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency range with excellent clarity and dynamism. With an LR2 crossover at a low 60 Hz the woofers can be placed against the side walls of a room and the LXmini used as near-field monitors. Path length differences to the listener can be compensated for in the DSP unit. Dipole woofers have the advantage of less room mode excitation, which matters even in a highly damped recording/mixing studio. (The design is in the final evaluation phase.)
LXmini Construction Plans: $105 + LXstudio Conversion Plans: $55 (available late April)

LX521.4 - A 4-way loudspeaker, designed as full-range dipole, for flat on-axis and off-axis response in the horizontal plane and frontal hemisphere. It requires between 8 to 10 power amplifiers of 50 W to 200 W and a miniDSP 4x10HD. The speakers need breathing room of at least 1 m to the nearest large reflecting surfaces and a room with a minimum floor size of 25 sqm. (The design is in the final evaluation phase.)
LX521 Construction Plans: $155 (LX521.4 addition available to all plan owners early May without cost)

"I consider each one of the three systems as state-of-the-art for rendering a convincing stereo illusion, that touches one's emotions, that is analytically revealing of flaws in the recording, yet at the same time forgiving them, if the art comes through. I therefore recommend building these speakers not only to the DIY community, but also to professional recording/mixing/mastering engineers and especially to the designers of consumer products to hear for themselves what they have been missing. Hopefully these designs inspire a fresh look at what is possible in terms of believable 3D from two speakers before everyone launches off into 3D over headphones with their unnatural distance distortion."

Last edited:

m1ts0s

News poster
Editor
Reaction score
LX521.4 - The Construction Documentation is now accessible to owners of LX521 documentation for free

"LX521.4 is a 4-way loudspeaker, designed as full-range dipole, for flat on-axis and off-axis response in the horizontal plane and frontal hemisphere. It requires between 8 to 10 power amplifiers of 50 W to 200 W and a miniDSP 4x10HD. The speakers need breathing room of at least 1 m to the nearest large reflecting surfaces and a room with a minimum volume of 65 m3.

The LX521.4 eliminates the passive L&C crossover in the LX521 top baffle and brings the speaker to its logical completion. Drivers and baffle design remain unchanged. Equalization and crossovers have been redesigned from newly taken acoustic measurements for a lower listening axis.

With its clarity, imaging, high dynamics and disappearance from one's auditory illusion, the LX521.4 renders a superb recording probably as good as it gets and delivers a highly enjoyable experience. I am delighted."

Last edited:

m1ts0s

News poster
Editor
Reaction score
"I just spent several hours listening to the LXmini when driven by the first production sample of the PowerBox from magicLX521. Together with Dr. Frank Brenner, and an Academy Awards nominated audio producer, we three compared the Hypex DSP and UcD amplifier based PowerBox in my listening room to my typical LXmini setup with miniDSP 4x10 Hd and AT1806 amplifiers. I am just astounded how much more is in the LXmini system in terms of low end definition and overall refinement of sound when connected to the PowerBox. We all heard the remarkable ease, openness and neutrality. And I had thought all along that I had a pretty decent setup and that it would be difficult to get even more out of the LXmini! While I can still proudly demo my LXmini system even with the miniDSP 2x4 and Emotiva amps, it is difficult to forget this listening session."

m1ts0s

News poster
Editor
Reaction score
The PowerBox by magicLX521

High-End DSP with ultra linear Poweramplifiers

Being quite sceptical on using digital filtering for high-end listening, only a top-notch DSP solution was acceptable as "brain" of the PowerBox:

Expertly designed digital and analogue sections of the Hypex DSP platform (Netherlands) combined with only finest ingredients allows DSP design without compromise. The PowerBox provides not only precise filtering, but also ultra linear amplification.

Enjoy the effortless musical presentation by four Hypex UcD amplifiers, well known for their neutrality and very low distortion figures. They are arranged as optimized and fully balanced internal system layout, allowing shortest signal traces and minimizing losses as well as artefacts.

The PowerBox is a preamp with volume control, a 6-ch DSP with 6ch-DAC , feeding a 4-channel power amplifier in one slim but massive powder-coated aluminum top with brushed stainless steel frontplate.

Alltogether a perfect match for Linkwitz speakers

Use the PowerBox as a basis for your upgrade path in the Linkwitz speaker family. With additional woofer amplification, the 6-way DSP of the PowerBox will be able to feed your future LXstudio or LX521 speaker system. The 8-channel system LX521.4 is run by two PowerBoxes.

Several PowerBoxes may be chained, allowing a combination of several LX521s and LXmini speakers in larger rooms or home theaters.

Interested in applying individual filters? The HYPEX FILTER DESIGN PC-software makes the PowerBox future proof and allows you to realize own projects. 15 programmable filters per each of the six channels guarantees precise XO definition and a wide spectrum of use.

PowerBox 4180, 4x180W: €1890.- (EU residents 2249€, incl 19%VAT).

PowerBox 4400 pro, 4x400W: €2190.- (EU residents 2606€, incl 19%VAT)

PowerBox 4400A pro, 4x400W; fully analogue; ASP for classic LX521: €2390.- (EU res. 2844€, incl 19%VAT).

Preloaded filters for LXmini or LXstudio owners.

Last edited:

m1ts0s

News poster
Editor
Reaction score
LXmini+2 Construction plans

LXmini+2 is a 3-way loudspeaker that combines the LXmini with two, compact LXsub2 dipole woofers.

It requires addition of two 50 W power amplifiers and a miniDSP 4x10HD unit to form a system that covers the 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency range with excellent clarity and dynamism. With an LR2 crossover at a low 60 Hz the woofers can be placed against the side walls of a room and the LXmini used as near-field monitors. Path length differences to the listener can be compensated for in the DSP unit. Dipole woofers have the advantage of less room mode excitation and thus preserve articulation in bass sounds.

LXmini+2 is a speaker that is on par with the LX521.4 in terms of frequency range, clarity, imaging, sound stage size and disappearance, albeit at lower maximum sound levels and particularly in the deep bass. The system is flexible in room placement and woofer setup, providing highly satisfying and enjoyable rendering of stereo recordings.

Compared to the LXstudio the LXmini+2 has the same low frequency response but it rolls off more steeply below 20 Hz to attenuate undesired subsonic signals. Due to the compact open baffle design and the fact that only two instead of four 10" drivers are used, the acoustic output is about 10 dB less than from the LXsub4 woofer of the LXstudio. This means that the LXsub2 has to be driven 10 dB harder, i.e. the cone excursions have to be about three times larger for the same SPL as from the LXsub4. When using a 200 W/channel power amplifier this can lead to damaging excursions of the 10" driver at very low frequencies. So caution is advised. A 50 W amplifier is much safer to use and likely to clip before the driver will. But it will also not allow for maximum excursion at 60 Hz. In my system I use two channels of an AT1806 (180 W/ch) to drive the LXsub2, and start with a low volume level for playback of an unfamiliar recording, before turning up the volume and watching the driver cone for over-excursions, which also announce themselves as severe distortion. When operated with care the LXmini+2 can handle any program material at enjoyable SPL.

dapost

Rehdeko & Harbeth lover
Reaction score
Τρελό respect για τον Linkwitz και τα προϊόντα του που είναι φανταστικά και καλύτερα για οικιακούς χώρους σχεδόν από ό,τι κυκλοφορεί (εκτός από το κιι και κάτι ψιλά).

Αλλά, δεν μπορώ να μη σχολιάσω την άκομψη προσπάθειά του να παρουσιάσει τη δουλειά του (και τις απόψεις του) ως επιστημονικό πόνημα δημοσιεύοντας άρθρα σαν και αυτό σε ανύπαρκτα περιοδικά σαν και αυτό:

http://road.issn.org/issn/2409-9821...tectural-engineering-technology-#.WJ7jBhhh1sM

Ούτε ο Γιάνης να ήταν :D

Last edited:

costas EAR

Δόκτωρ ΔιαXύσιος
Editor
Reaction score
Εγώ νομίζω ότι απλά εκνευρισμένος είναι ο λινκβιτζ, με τις μ@λακιες που κυκλοφορούν για ηχεία, και με τους απανταχού Φωτιάδηδες.

Οπότε, πάνω στην απόγνωσή του με τις μ@λακιες που βλέπει, δίνει οδηγίες όπως σε 4-χρονα, όπως τους αρμόζει δηλαδή, λέγοντάς τους πως αν ρε παπάρες δε ξεπερνάει η υλοποίησή σας το ταπεινό μίνι, κάψτε τα, κι εσείς οι ριβγιούερ γ@μω το στανιό μου πάρτε τουλάχιστον ένα μίνι να ξέρετε με τι βάση να συγκρίνετε τις π@παριες του καθενός, γιατί είστε για το πέος.

:p

Έχω ήδη ομολογήσει, πως σε κάποια θέματα, σε κάποια σημεία των γραπτών του παππού, έχω διαφωνίες. Δε πρόκειται να τις εκφράσω ποτέ. Είτε κάνω λάθος και θα το καταλάβω σε 10 χρόνια, είτε απλώς και μόνο λόγω ρισπεκτ. Δεν είναι κανείς μας του αναστήματος του παππού για να τολμήσει καν να διαφωνήσει μαζί του, πόσο μάλλον να του κάνει και μάθημα.. ;)

costas EAR

Δόκτωρ ΔιαXύσιος
Editor
Reaction score
Ε, μα, μέχρι και οδηγίες τους δίνει για μεγάλους χώρους, τους λέει για νιαρφιλντ με τα μίνι και σαμπ στην προβλεπόμενη θέση, μέχρι και πως να φέρουν την φάση τους εξηγεί, ακόμα και τον περιορισμό του μαξ SPL.

Σα να με αντιγράφει. :p:D

Αυτά δηλαδή τα απλά και βατά και αδιαμφισβήτητα που λέω στον κάθε ντιμιφουτ και στο κάθε παιδί που δε ξέρει τίποτα από το χόμπι και αποφασίζει να ασχοληθεί, τα λέει ο λινκβιτζ στους κατασκευαστές ηχείων και στους ριβιουερς.

Καλά θα κάνουν να τον ακούσουν, να πουν κι ένα ευχαριστώ. Κι ένα συγνώμη.

Reaction score
...γιατί έχει ακούσει 5 παραπάνω μηχανήματα από τον Linkwitz, να τα λέμε και αυτά.
Χααααααααααααχαχαααααααααααχααααααααααααχαχαααααααααααααχαχαααααααααααααααχαχααχααααααααααα, έγραψες!

Shepherd

Μόνιμος
Reaction score
Θα στείλω mail στον Παππού παρακαλώντας γονυπετής να φτιάξει ενα ηχείο Κρυσταλιέρα - Friendly

Staff online

• Zizik
    Chauncey Gardiner * tl;dr *
  • abcd
    Πρώην Διοικητής ο τροπαιοφόρος

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
Spirand