Μη μου εκνευρίζετε τον Τουλ... ;)

costas EAR

Δόκτωρ ΔιαXύσιος
Editor
Reaction score
Ιδίως με "προσωπικές απόψεις". :headbang:

Προς απόλαυση και μόνον, παραθέτω απάντηση του μεσιέ Τουλ: (λινκ)

I'm getting really tired of this tirade.

You obviously have not read and understood what I and my colleagues have written. Indeed one should always read - anything these days - with a dose of skepticism, but one must also read for comprehension. I cannot understand your stubborn focus on "28 consumers" when over the years there have been double-blind tests on hundreds of loudspeakers employing hundreds of listeners, in several very different rooms, continuing today. The reference you stick with (my 1985-86 papers) was only the beginning, not the end. I don't recall publishing anything in 2016, as you state. To my knowledge those papers represented "firsts" in several categories of scientific endeavor. Olive's 2003 paper alone describes a test that, when it ended, had engaged about 350 listeners - all groups agreeing on the ranking of the test loudspeakers.

In the following list of papers you will see a progression of investigation, looking into the underlying causes of the subjective ratings in the loudspeaker itself (resonances) and as it interacts with a listening space (reflections). This was motivated by a desire to identify characteristics of the loudspeakers underlying the ratings. It was not motivated by marketing as you imply because over those years I was employed by the Canadian government as a research scientist. There were no brands to promote or defend. Surely you know this.

The reward has been that listeners in the tests monotonously identify the least flawed, most neutral loudspeakers and award them the highest scores. I fail to see how this can be challenged as exhibiting some kind of corporate/marketing bias. It simply means that the exact same sound quality that is inherent in all electronics, wires, etc. can be recognized in loudspeakers. Even so, "soft" subjectivists find themselves able to write pages of poetry about wires, speaker stands, acoustical trinkets, even power cords. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Go find a "Vox populi" marketing trend in that crowd - good luck. Sadly, these people also review loudspeakers - in a "take it home and listen to it" process, open to all possible biases.

As I pointed out several times before, program variations exist in abundance. Only tone controls used in real time can (partially) compensate. No single loudspeaker can do it. However, it is sensible to begin with a neutral reproducer as a basis. You seem to find reason to question the obvious.

I hope that this is my last post to this thread. It clearly is not a discussion of scientific content or merit. That requires contrary evidence, and I have seen none. I sense a "two cultures" kind of conflict here, and it is obvious which one I am in. (From Wikipedia: The Two Cultures is the first part of an influential 1959 Rede Lecture by British scientist and novelist C. P. Snow.[1][2] Its thesis was that "the intellectual life of the whole of western society" was split into two cultures – the sciences and the humanities – which was a major hindrance to solving the world's problems.")

Toole, F. E. (1982). “Listening tests – turning opinion into fact”, J. Audio Eng. Soc., 30, pp. 431-445.
Toole, F. E. (1985). “Subjective measurements of loudspeaker sound quality and listener preferences”, J. Audio Eng. Soc., 33. pp. 2-31.
Toole, F. E. (1986). “Loudspeaker measurements and their relationship to listener preferences”, J. Audio Eng. Soc., 34, pt.1, pp. 227-235, pt. 2, pp. 323-348.
Toole, F. E. and Olive, S.E. (1988). “The modification of timbre by resonances: perception and measurement”, J. Audio Eng. Soc., 36, pp. 122-142.
Olive, S. E. and Toole, F. E. (1989). “The Detection of Reflections in Typical Rooms”, J. Audio Eng. Soc., 37, pp. 539-553.
Toole, F. E. and Olive, S.E. (1994). “Hearing is believing vs. believing is hearing: blind vs. sighted listening tests and other interesting things”. 97thConvention, Audio Eng. Soc., Preprint 3894.
Olive, S.E. (1994). “A Method for Training Listeners and Selecting Program Material for Listening Tests”, Audio Eng. Soc. 97thConvention, preprint 3893.
Toole, F. E. and Olive, S.E. (2001). “Subjective Evaluation”, Chapter 13 in “Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook”, Borwick, J. ed., Focal Press, Oxford.
Olive, S.E. (2001). “A New Listener Training Software Application”, 110thConvention, Audio Eng. Soc., Preprint No. 5384.
Olive, S.E. (2003). “Difference in Performance and Preference of Trained versus Untrained Listeners in Loudspeaker Tests: A Case Study”, J. Audio Eng. Soc., 51, pp. 806-825.
Olive, S.E. (2004a). “A multiple regression model for predicting loudspeaker preference using objective measurements: part 1 – listening test results”, 116thConvention, Audio Eng. Soc., Preprint 6113.
Olive, S.E. (2004b). “A multiple regression model for predicting loudspeaker preference using objective measurements: part 2 – development of the model”, 117thConvention, Audio Eng. Soc., Preprint 6190.
Toole, F. E. (2006), “Loudspeakers and Rooms for Sound Reproduction – A Scientific Review”, J. Audio Eng. Soc., vol. 54, pp. 451− 476.
Olive, S.E. (2011), The Listener Training Program: http://harmanhowtolisten.blogspot.com
Toole, F. E. (2015). “The Measurement and Calibration of Sound Reproducing Systems”, J. Audio Eng. Soc., vol. 63, pp.512-541. This is an open-access paper available to non-members at www.aes.org http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17839

A YouTube lecture that summarizes some of the science:
Toole, F. E. (2015), “Art and Science/Opinions and Facts”, CIRMMT Distinguished Lectures in the Science and Technology of Music, McGill University, Montreal. www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrpUDuUtxPM

A book that summarizes most of the relevant science over the past 50 years:
Toole, F.E., “Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms”, Third Edition, Focal Press, 2017.
A companion website has additional content, and it is open access: www.routledge.com/cw/toole

Over and out . . . Bye!

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

Και βέβαια, στο επόμενο ποστ ο Αμίρ ο φίλος μας, έκανε το αναμενόμενο:

My apologies Dr. Toole. I just banned @@svart-hvitt.

I should say though, the only thing that made this thread worthwhile was your thoughtful responses to his challenges! So in some sense he was adding some value. But also much pain and anguish so I had to end it.

I hope we can enjoy and learn from your posts in other context.

Έτσι πρέπει να γίνεται. Εύγε και πάλι εύγε. 8-)

Last edited:

Dimifoot

General Catsicofoot Patton
Editor
Reaction score
Γίνεται πολυ σοβαρή δουλειά στο ASR. Και στα reviews/μετρήσεις, και στον διάλογο που συμμετέχουν σοβαροί και γνωστοί επιστήμονες και άνθρωποι του αντικειμένου, αλλά και στο moderation, όπου πέφτουν τα κεφάλια των ασχετοκουραδόμαγκων χωρίς πολλά πολλά.
Μπορεί να είναι δυσνόητο πολλές φορές για τον μέσο αναγνώστη, με πολλούς τεχνικούς όρους και πολλά θεωρητικά προαπαιτούμενα, αλλά έτσι το επίπεδο διατηρείται υψηλότατο και προσφέρει στην παγκόσμια κοινότητα των βλαμμένων.

Reaction score
Δεν είμαι σίγουρος τι προσπαθεί να πει ο τύπος πάντως είμαι σίγουρος πως δεν υπάρχει διαγωνιζόμενος στο αμέρικαν άιντολ που να είναι άουτ οφ τιούν. Αντίθετα με ό,τι συμβαίνει στα μέρη μας.

Reaction score
Δεν είμαι σίγουρος τι προσπαθεί να πει ο τύπος πάντως είμαι σίγουρος πως δεν υπάρχει διαγωνιζόμενος στο αμέρικαν άιντολ που να είναι άουτ οφ τιούν. Αντίθετα με ό,τι συμβαίνει στα μέρη μας.
Προσπαθει πολυ απλα να πει οτι υπαρχουν καποια θεματα σε καποιες μελετες του Τουλ.Αυτο το αναφερει διοτι ειναι αντιθετος σε καποιους συγκεκριμενους τομεις της ερευνας του,οσον αφορα καποιες ανακλασεις.Ο Τουλ-οπως και οποιοσδηποτε θνητος-δεν ειναι αλαθητος.

Και αυτος ο κυριος ειναι ο Ethan Winer:dontmentionit:

Reaction score
Μα δεν με ενδιαφέρει ποιος είναι. Όποιος υποστηρίζει πως οι τραγουδιστές στο αμέρικαν άιντολ είναι ξεκούρδιστοι είτε είναι ανόητος είτε δεν έχει ιδέα του αντικειμένου. Υπάρχει και μία άλλη περίπτωση, να θέλει να πει μία μαλακία απλώς για να τον προσέξουν.

alexis

Reticular Activating System
Reaction score
Ο Τουλ-οπως και οποιοσδηποτε θνητος-δεν ειναι αλαθητος.
Βέβαια, μόνο που αν θες να αμφισβητήσεις τον Toole και τον κάθε επιπέδου Τοοle θα πρέπει να έχεις ότι είχε και αυτός για να κάνεις έρευνες.
Θα πρέπει να τον βλέπεις στην ευθεία (same level of resources) γιατί ότι άλλο σε κάνει καραγκιόζη.
Γιατί πχ όλοι αυτοί που τον αμφισβητούν από ανηχοϊκό θάλαμο σε φωτογραφία θα έχουν δει πιθανόν, διαθέσιμα κεφάλαια ούτε για αστείο, κλπ.

Dimifoot

General Catsicofoot Patton
Editor
Reaction score
Η επιστήμη δεν είναι δημοκρατική. :tongue:

Φανταστείτε να ψηφίζουμε στο χειρουργείο, και οι καθαρίστριες, και οι βοηθοί, και οι τραυματιοφορείς, όλοι, για το τι θα κάνω στο πόδι σας. :roflmao:

Η ηλεκτροακουστική, η ψυχοακουστική, η ακουστική χώρων είναι θετικές επιστήμες, όχι αρνητικές :gotcha:

Ούτε άποψη, ούτε μαγεία, ούτε τέχνη. Θετικές επιστήμες, που διδάσκονται στα πανεπιστήμια, και συζητιούνται στα αντίστοιχα συνέδρια και στα επιστημονικά έντυπα. Εμείς οι απέξω παίρνουμε μια μυρωδιά, όσοι από εμάς διαβάζουμε λίγο για να ξεστραβωθούμε.

Το να πουλάει κάποιος εκτός επιστήμης άποψη στον Τουλ, και με υφάκι (του είπε πως εξυπηρετεί συμφέροντα, είναι της μόδας βλέπετε), είναι κωμικό όσο δεν πάει άλλο.
Εφόσον ο Τουλ, και ο κάθε επιστήμονας, δέχεται να συνομιλήσει σε δημόσιο ανοιχτό φόρουμ, έχουμε την ευκαιρία να κάνουμε ερωτήσεις, και απαντάει ευγενικά. Μπράβο του, εγώ δεν θα απαντούσα ευγενικά σε φόρουμ άσχετων με την Ορθοπαιδική (αν και στο ASR δεν υπάρχουν πολλοί τελείως άσχετοι).

Ερωτήσεις, διευκρινήσεις, και με ευγένεια και κάτω το κεφάλι μπορούμε να ψελλίσουμε και καμιά έξτρα ιδέα. Ευγενικά.

Αλλιώς τομπούλο, λε πουλέ, τονπούλογλου.

Reaction score
Δεν υπάρχει αντίθετη "άποψη" όταν ο άλλος δημοσιεύει papers σε επιστημονικά περιοδικά του χώρου. Υπάρχει αντίθετη θέση ή προσβολή της μελέτης με αντίστοιχη δημοσίευση που επισημαίνει και εξηγεί τα λάθη επιστημονικά και ενυπόγραφα. Αυτό που διαβάζω στο link του asr είναι ακόμη μια κ@λοτρ.... άποψη.

Τελευταια Μηνυματα

Staff online

• abcd
    Πρώην Διοικητής ο τροπαιοφόρος

ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

Threads
Members
Νεότερο μέλος
k.dimitriadis